Fish safe turtle?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I've only heard of pig nosed turtles being kept in large systems(400g+). Although they are aggressive(I wouldn't exactly call them fish safe). I have seem them kept by a few members. Ultimately they grow to large sizes and produce a lot of waste.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
as long as your fish are a lot bigger than the turtle then any medium to small size turtle will be ok. They will try to nip at the fish tail but it isn't a big deal for a big fish.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have a musk turtle in my tank and he has been kept with all types of fish

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Hello, I'm looking for a fully aquatic turtle that can be kept in a large South American community. Thanks.
razorback musk turtles are fish friendly peaceful aquatic turtles.

Reactions: weston

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Although musk turtles aren't fully aquatic, so you will need to provide a basking area...

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have a dock for my musk and he Never use it. He never even comes out of the water. My tank is full to the top and the closest he ever get to coming out of the water is when he swim to the top to briefly poke his head out. If you do extensive research on musk turtles you will learn that they are more aquatic then most people think and that they are not basking turtles.

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
I have a dock for my musk and he Never use it. He never even comes out of the water. My tank is full to the top and the closest he ever get to coming out of the water is when he swim to the top to briefly poke his head out. If you do extensive research on musk turtles you will learn that they are more aquatic then most people think and that they are not basking turtles.

actually your right and wrong. they are more of the aquatic type but they are still basking turtles though are known as infrequent basking turtles. (rarely basking)
and the reason your turtle never comes out of the water is because your tank is filled to the top. if they are given a basking spot or area to climb out of the water
they will do so even if it isn't frequently. i see my turtle climb out and jump back in like its at a water park and it's quite amusing to watch as it seems like it's having
fun imo.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I have a Mata Mata, very cool and totaly friendly to anything she cant eat.
You only need a place near the water surface where she can sleep and breathe without the need to swimm.
She is allways smiling .

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
I have a razorback musk in with datnoids and bichirs. No problems and very few issues with nipping, it actually hitchs rides on my bichir from time to time. Although they should had a basking area i dont have one and its spend its time on the bottom n only surfacing to breathe. Except for the mexican musk most musk turtle dont get too big, mines 5-6" max at 4-5years old

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store