Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
hi there

hope someone can help,

ive recently got myself a tds meter..

last week i had 169 ppm.. yesterday i had 104 ppm

my incoming water (drip system) is 31 ppm.. consistant. today im reading 830 ppm... :cry::cry::cry:

all my tests are good..

API master kit
ph 6.8-7
nitrite 0
amonia 0
nitrate 0
kh 1.2 -1.9 (salifert) i dont rate this test
gh 4-5

wat could cause this massive tds change.. is it even possible??

thankyou

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
nitrate 0?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Maybe something is wrong with meter. Test in distilled water. It should be 0.

Have you been using calibration solution for the meter?

Maybe they are working on the water main somewhere in your area which is causing the massive rise.

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
i have tried umpteen times to reply at work.. no signal sorry!

my nitrates are below 20ppm but the next morning they will of droped to 0-5ppm,, drip system is 96 ltrs a day, in 220 gallons..

this tds meter seems consistant with my water i am dripping into the system , 31 ppm, the same as when i bought it..

i must admit i have done some extra feeding over the past few days.. but i dont see much on the Sand. im using filter socks and changed that out asap.. wasnt too messy TBH.

im at a loss..

i have been thinking of removing the sand substrate for some time so maybe thats some cause and also the sponges i have before i added all the bio media scrubbies are probably not helping..

what do you think???

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
TDS isn't going to be something you can see on the sand. It's below 2 microns. Tap water for example, which looks completely clear, can register a TDS of 300.

Are you using RO or carbon filtration on your drip? Tap water isn't going to be 31 ppm almost anywhere. Where are you getting 31 ppm: before or after filtration? If you are using a carbon filter, they will reach a saturation point, and iirc under certain conditions release TDS they have previously adsorbed. I don't use one, but you could check that as well.

I would test pure water and see that the meter says zero.

Then I would be sure to test the water at the same time in the same place (from tank) in the same way. TDS includes organics, and we know that organics change before and after feeding or depending on where the water is taken from the tank.

Otherwise, I'd call the manufacturer and get some insight.

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
TDS isn't going to be something you can see on the sand. It's below 2 microns. Tap water for example, which looks completely clear, can register a TDS of 300.

I would test pure water and see that it says zero.

Then I would be sure to test the water at the same time in the same place (from tank) in the same way. TDS includes organics, and we know that organics change before and after feeding or depending on where the water is taken from the tank.

Otherwise, I'd call the manufacturer and get some insight.
cheers.. it just seems strange that tds shot up from 104 too 800+ over night.. yet all other parameters are good.. ive tested gh kh again and nitrates and havnt fed tonight.. nitrates are 0-5 gh and kh are normal.. (same as drip) my
tds now are at 744.. so a slight drop but not 104 as it was.. but i cant help thinking my TDS meter is fine because im getting 31 on my drip water????? i have ordered calibration fluid.. i have no distilled water readily available..
is it possible mechanical filter and sand substarate are the cause here

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
It must be coming from food and waste. it also could be coming from your substrate, rocks, or drift wood if you have any.
I wouldn't worry about it. The TDS on my well water is 350. I don't do anything to my water for my fresh water fish. Only reason I have a TDS meter is to check the water from my RO unit. I use the RO water for my salt water tank.

Why are you checking your TDS? Are you having trouble with your fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store