DIY Driftwood - branches from backyard

st3phaniex3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Florida
Ok so I'm pretty confused as to how the process is supposed to go with making your own driftwood. Also how to tell if the branch is ready to begin soaking and if you absolutely need to dry it out before soaking it.

I have oak trees in my backyard and collected a few branches of all sizes stripped the bark and started soaking them in my empty 55 gallon tank.

Some of the branches still seemed pretty light colored under the bark (especially the larger pieces ). Was i supposed to dry them out or is that how it should look at first? I'm so confused :help2:

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I have put branch pieces that i thought were not dry enough,next to/on top of radiator,in summer I tied pieces to car roof to get beat up by the sun and weather

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

st3phaniex3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Florida
I don't have plecos but i don't want to coat them with anything. Is there any way of knowing, without breaking the branch apart, if the wood is completely dried out? My boyfriend suggested putting a wire mesh grate over some hot coals and drying the branches out that way ... will that work? And how would i know it's dry enough?
The branch i found is pretty cool looking and would rather not have to break it apart. I would like to make a cave/hideout out of it for my dragon gobies or at least for one of them and hopefully I'll come across another branch if they seem to like it better than the rock caves.

st3phaniex3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Florida
Also, just out of curiosity, why does the branch have to be completely dried out before putting it in the fish tank? Will it mess with the water chemical balance other than the ph?

st3phaniex3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Florida
Here's a picture of the branch ... I have scrubbed it a few times to get all the dirt and loose softer bits of whatever off. Probably needs a few more scrubs though lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1422135726904.jpg

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
Also, just out of curiosity, why does the branch have to be completely dried out before putting it in the fish tank? Will it mess with the water chemical balance other than the ph?
Just because it can Leach saps which can kill fish. Dry it out as much as you can. I dried mine out after a month on the radiator. I'm not completely sure if it was dried on the inside but my water chemistry stayed the same except PH, which dropped alittle.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store