hob overflow mods ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Has anyone added a extra u tube in there overflow box before ? I have the 1800 model eshopps which has a 1.5" u tube thought about adding a 2nd u tube my pump is able to handle the flow easily and have two 1.5" drains entire way to sump

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or concerns of doing this ?

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Did you ever end up doing this? I am in the works of building a sump and am planning on using the same overflow. I found it a bit weird the 1000 and 1200 models have dual u tubes, yet the largest model (1800) doesn't?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I've tried it before but one tube would always lose syphon. I'm not sure if I didn't have a strong enough pump or if the plumbing couldn't handle as much gph as the u tubes drained.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
nope i never got around to trying it. as i was told one would lose siphon always so did wanna try it lol but my pump iam running is only running at 50-60% prolly its pulled back alot so it may work since i have a pump that will pump fast enough for it draining that fast....

if your pump cant keep up then the tube will lose siphon or get air bubbles/pocket. my pump is fast enough it will push the air out if any gets in there, i NEVER have air in my u tube tho

the 1000 and 1200 models have dual 1" tubes i think when the 1800 has 1.5" or maybe it 1.25" i cant member off top of my head lol

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I still like the idea of dual u tubes in the scenario where one gets clogged. What kind of gph are you currently running? I believe the 1800 is rated for up to 1600gph?

Any complaints with the eshopps overflows? I've just heard so many people say "don't get a HOB overflow". I just don't understand why one would fail if it was set up properly? What are these people doing wrong that's causing them problems?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Gph ? No idea prolly close to the max allowed for the 1800 model. But my pump runs like 2600gph@4ft of head, as it backed to about half throttle. I think is what a lot of people do is they don't have strong enough pumps and they gets air pocket in the top of the u-tube and when hydro goes out the pump isn't strong enough to push the water and force the air out. My pump will push a huge air pocket through, I've done multpile test with different size of air pockets and my pump will basically push enough water through to force the air pocket out. Very unlikely your u-tube would even get clogges unless you have small fish that would get in there, and also the only thing I dislike about the overflow box is the lack of amount you can adjust the height for inside the tank with the black box. Just wish I could move down a few more inchs then it moves now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have also tried adding a 2nd tube, and found 1 would lose siphon, maybe not right away, but within a day or so.
I've tried it before but one tube would always lose syphon. I'm not sure if I didn't have a strong enough pump or if the plumbing couldn't handle as much gph as the u tubes drained.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
I believe i have the 1200 model and i would constantly lose siphon in one tube so I added 1" "ghetto dorso" pipe with intake higher than the slot where the u tubes are in n never lose siphon. I believe when the pump is off the higher position of thw pipe leave more water in the hob n when pump level is high enough for pverflow it starts back up. One issue i have is i think my pump too strong n i end up refilling rhe sump every week but at the same time my sump is open top so it could be evaporation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
My sump is open I lose about 3g a week, that's normal from what I've read. My pump is WAY to strong as well, which is why I have it throttled back so much so I can fine tune and adjust everything to work the way it suppose to lol. I've NEVER lost sipohn and I've done 1000 different ways of trying to make it fawk up lol only way it would lose siphon is when I'd pull the utube right out of the overflow box. But iam also running two 1.5" drains the entire way down to the sump from the box.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
So the general consensus is that these are good HOB overflows? Not many options out there and I am looking to pick one up for my 220gal..

Also, is anyone running dual pumps on the 1800 model? I was considering using two pumps, one for each bulkhead on the box. This way if one pump failed for some reason I'd still have the second one running. Is this a good/bad idea?

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store