Yearling S. Painted attacking baby razorback musk!!!

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
When I introduced my young razorback musk into my 75 gallon tank (Home of a 6 inch male black belt cichlid, 2 geophagus sp. red head tapajos and 1 yearling southern painted turtle who I've kept with other turtle before with 0 problems) but when I introduced the young razor, my southern painted kept trying to kill it! My razorback is currently in my 30 gallon planted and forced me to remove all the other plants besides the hornwort and anubias as I don't want him to eat any. The razorback is healthy and no damage to the tail or legs but I want to know if there's a good way to introduce the turtle back into the 75 gallon. I will move both of these turtles into my 240 gallon once they get to adult size.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Painteds are not known for their aggression but perhaps it's telling the Razor that this tank is only big enough for one turtle. What and how often are you feeding the painted turtle?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Painteds are not known for their aggression but perhaps it's telling the Razor that this tank is only big enough for one turtle. What and how often are you feeding the painted turtle?
I feed him Hikari turtle sticks and he likes to eat new life spectrum pellets for the cichlids too.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
every 1 to 2 days I feed the tank. Usually twice daily. (3 water changes a week, usually)

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
You could try rearranging the landscape in the tank and then add both turtles. Perhaps you could put in a divider in so they could see each other. If after a few days they don't show aggression towards each other you could then remove it.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I had five baby midland painted turtles and two bluegills (all wild-caught) in a 75 gallon with a 5-inch wide red eared slider, the RES left them alone most of the time but when it came to feeding he was a total bastard, chasing the little guys around, etc. How big are both of your turtles? I've found that the slider didn't really bother them as long as I kept them all well-fed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store