New Addition: Pangasius larnaudii

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I need to be put in IBA (Impulse Buyers Anonymous) :D. Just added my new Pangasius larnaudii (One-Spot Pangasius) to my 30 tall as a very temporary growout, will then go into my 75, and then finally into a tank of at least 500 gallons or a 1,000G+ pond (both would be growouts that would last a long time). As of now he's cruising around half way up my 30. Can't upload pics on my phone but next time I get on my computer I'll try to upload some. Can't wait to see how big this guy grows and I'll be sure to document his growth here! Anyone else keep these awesome guys or have any experience to share?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone have any feeding suggestions? He was a little skittish this morning and didn't eat flake. I'm thinking that's because he's just the new guy but I've never kept any other Pangasiids before so I'm not overly familiar with their feeding habits, PC says they accept flake, pellets, and bloodworms.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I initially gave mine cut up shrimp and fish which they greedily ate but now they eat various pellets,sinking as well as floating.The seafood is mainly a treat now.Where did you get yours from?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I initially gave mine cut up shrimp and fish which they greedily ate but now they eat various pellets,sinking as well as floating.The seafood is mainly a treat now.Where did you get yours from?
Thanks Krich. I got him as a rescue from one of my least favorite LFSs (Seahorse pet store), I felt bad for the little guy because they were trying to sell it to someone for their 55 and I wanted to prevent yet another stunted Pangasiid in the hobby.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cool.It should go after something in a few days after it settles.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
seahorse pets? Wheres that at? I've never even heard of that shop lol

granted I basically only use Elmers and AquaWorld lol

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
seahorse pets? Wheres that at? I've never even heard of that shop lol

granted I basically only use Elmers and AquaWorld lol
North Hills. Dude go check out Namado if you're willing to go as far as Elmer's, it's just down the road and my favorite LFS, it's the one that my friend owns.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Finally got him to eat one small piece of cut up cocktail shrimp last night because it fell in front of his face. He ignored the rest of the pieces as when people are to close he'll frantically swim as fast as he can against the side panel of glass. Any ideas on how to calm him? I don't want his snout getting bruised up.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reduce light. Paint/cover back and sides black. Put in plants / secure places. Give it some time.

I've only had IDSs. They always and markedly prefer dried foods, pellets - more of a vegetarian they are. If dry foods are available, they ignore anything fleshy.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Reduce light. Paint/cover back and sides black. Put in plants / secure places. Give it some time.

I've only had IDSs. They always and markedly prefer dried foods, pellets - more of a vegetarian they are. If dry foods are available, they ignore anything fleshy.
Thanks tbtb, the back of the tank has a background and I'll put some cardboard on the sides of it. Flake has went past his face multiple times and be didn't seem to care, hopefully that'll change though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store