Fish from walmart question

LilBabyEmma

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Morgantown
I seen awesome albino peacock cichlid at my local walmart today was wondering what the odds of it being hormoined is he's 1" or little biggerand super red. My local fish breeders aid fish that's shipped to my walmart come from a farm that don't hormone whats the odds?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Peacock cichlids are rarely hormonally manipulated....Now their clown loachs that's a different story.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Peacock cichlids are rarely hormonally manipulated....Now their clown loachs that's a different story.

Say what? Aulonocara have been hormone enhanced by Asian farms on a regular basis for many years. A very common sight, especially at big box chain stores.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
IMO odds are a bright red 1" peacock is hormoned.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
At one inch, sometimes males will start to color up, but that's the exception more than the rule. And often the color is faint, not full adult color
Chances are, the fish is hormoned.
I will not recommend buying fish at Walmart.
But if you buy him anyhow.. keep in mind, female africans can get male colors from hormoning too.
There's a pet store here that buys hormoned fish, but it's generally a good store.
If I buy an peacock or hap there, I try to find one that's been in the store long enough for the hormones to fade.
With practice, you can spot an immature male, and eventually he will color back up naturally.
I only have bought a few of these for a display tank. I just assume that if they've been hormoned, there's probably reproductive damage, so no chance of using them as breeders.
Although maybe the males would be ok, who knows.. I wouldn't count on a female that has been fed testosterone though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I seen awesome albino peacock cichlid at my local walmart today was wondering what the odds of it being hormoined is he's 1" or little biggerand super red.

That's not an albino .......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store