Betta fish problem please help!

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm helping to take care of my sisters betta fish which I thought would be a breeze given the fish I've taken care of in the past. After a few weeks of it being with me the betta has slowly been less active and seemed more and more sickly. The past week and a half the betta just lays on the ground on its side heavily breathing. It doesn't look good at all. I tested the water params and they are perfect which didn't make much sense to me. I changed the water, and had it treated with conditioner and put the betta back in. He hasn't eaten much. After about ten minutes of being in, he flipped out and did like a horizontal frantic swim on his side flipping out around the tank. I also noticed a few weeks ago that the fish had a sort of curved back but in a side to side way, not arched. I looked it up on the Internet and saw that some fish exhibit TB. I don't think he has or had this because it wasn't always curved, just sometimes. Does anyone have any advice or know what I should do? Any advice is helpful, thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
1.) what were the water parameters?
2.) you didn't mention a heater. Is there one?
3.) what size tank?
4.)how did you change the water? Cold or hot water?

These questions can help us narrow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
1.) what were the water parameters?
2.) you didn't mention a heater. Is there one?
3.) what size tank?
4.)how did you change the water? Cold or hot water?

These questions can help us narrow it down.

1.) 0 ppm ammonia
Low to none nitrite and nitrate
2.)there isn't a heater, the water was a little cold
3.) I wanna say 2.5 gallons
4.) warm water
I forgot to mention that beforehand it was doing fine, and we started feeding it zoomed treats (called dial-a-treat I think and maybe too many?) and that may have caused it some trouble right? Thanks for your answer by the way.

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
You want to shoot for no nitrites and very little, say less than 20ppm, nitrates. Nitrites are harmful to fish.

Bettas are tropical fish they need heaters. Stores will tell you other wise just to make some money off you. They thrive in 75-80 degree waters in the wild.

How many pellets did you feed the Betta? Labyrinth fish ( Bettas, gouramis, etc) have smaller stomach so they don't need as much food as other fish.

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
You want to shoot for no nitrites and very little, say less than 20ppm, nitrates. Nitrites are harmful to fish.

Bettas are tropical fish they need heaters. Stores will tell you other wise just to make some money off you. They thrive in 75-80 degree waters in the wild.

How many pellets did you feed the Betta? Labyrinth fish ( Bettas, gouramis, etc) have smaller stomach so they don't need as much food as other fish.

I honestly have no idea. There are a variety of treats, and he's eaten them all. When I say all I mean all the different types, not all the individual treats. What do you think is the cause of him acting this way? What can I do to improve his condition? Thanks.

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
I believe the cause is the nitrites. and lack of heater. Buying a small heater will fix the heater issue.

Changing 50% of the water everyday until you get no nitrites. Make sure to use dechlotinator each water change and the correct amount.

Also do not remove the fish during the water changes. You can shock him/her.

You didn't mention a filter. Is there one ?

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I believe the cause is the nitrites. and lack of heater. Buying a small heater will fix the heater issue.

Changing 50% of the water everyday until you get no nitrites. Make sure to use dechlotinator each water change and the correct amount.

Also do not remove the fish during the water changes. You can shock him/her.

You didn't mention a filter. Is there one ?

Okay thank you and there are no nitrites. There also is no filter. Should there be one? I'm not sure how I would add one either because the small cube is very odd and I don't think I would be able to attach a filter on it. After looking at the tank it may even be a gallon or smaller.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I think he got sick from temp change during water changes. I keep a gallon of water at room temp. If your filling with warm water that will stress him out. A small heater would be good though. The box store pet shops sell a small one made for bowls. With steady temp and clean water he should be fine. Also make sure the bowl is away from window. Over feeding doesn't help either, I'd cut back on the amount particularly if the water is cold and he's less active. Good luck

Rav_Roth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
US
Rapid temp changes can cause a fish a loooot of stress. Next time you change the water give it a couple hours to make sure it is room temp before putting it in the tank. If you don't want to wait every time you do water changes, do as Calichai mentioned and just keep a jug of water somewhere near the tank so the water is the same temp. I would also make sure the bowl is not next to an outside wall.

As for filters, in such a small space even a small filter is gonna take up a lot of room. I've kept bettas before without filters, but you have to keep up with water changes, and make double sure not to overfeed. You can feed a small amount twice a day (I only gave mine 3 or 4 pellets at one time), which should both keep him from eating too much at once, and keep the uneaten food from rotting in the water.

But I'll agree with Calichai here, and say that he should be fine, just keep an eye on him for the time being. Betta fish are incredibly hardy little guys. Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store