Diy biomedia

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
Hi. Im new to mfk and trying to find a cheap alternative to bio balls i am currently running 500 gallons tank space and 3-55 gallon barrels that the first one is supposed to collect all the solids and the second is where we want our bio media and the 3rd is where our pump to return the water to the tanks are at. I was thinking finding a lot of driftwood and cutting it up and puttong in the middle container to create surface area for the bacteria is it a good idea or whats a good cheap diy alternative
We are looking at expanding with 2 more totes to make this a 1150gal system which is why im trying to get this solved soon. Any ideas appreciated fr33675

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Plastic pot scrubbers work well and affordable. I would stay away from wood. Although for larger barrel filters, I've used red/black cinder.

Reactions: Fr33675

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Cinders are volcanic rock(pyroclastic), usually used in landscaping. They come in red and black. They have great surface area for biological filtration. Not the best media for soft water fish. They will definitely buffer your PH. They are used in aquaponic growbeds as media quite often. At least in my area they can be bought for very cheap.

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
Thanks thats an avenue im gonna start looking into. we started out doing aquaponics but started doing more of the aquaculture for the time being. Had 2 spawns on my tilapia and trying to expand the system to achieve a better growout system for the fish.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Cool. I raise tilapia(amongst other fish) also. They can put off some big numbers. I have a large white Nile male and 5 females in120g. That have been spawning constantly for a few months. I've been growing out in a 2000g aquaponic pond(growbed style). Do you sell your fish?

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
Im left with about 1000 blues left. Trying to sell on craigslist right now so i can get to your stage. I have a 1/2 hp sump with 2 inch pvc feeding it to 2 250 gal totes then gravity fed to the 3 barrel filtration system. Tried to post pics but tricky from ipad. We get 2 more 250 gal totes in a week. How succesful is your colony. Weve only succeeded in one on one breeding our male was uber aggressive and wouldnt leave any of them alone after he had bred one. He would protect her but be a ahole to the others. So we had to switch to pairing them off.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
My male is fine. It's the other females, when one female holds eggs/fry another female comes in, lip locks her and forces her to spill eggs. Of course it's a feast. So now I try to strip eggs after spawning.

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
Would like to get to that point. First i need to grow out new stock. How do u accomplish uour sexing? Ive tried the 2-3 hole method but cant really see them i heard females are darker any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store