BD male maturity

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
What's the typical (of course all are different ) so I should ask in your own experience... Size of mature BD male. I have one now that's pushing 15" and the littles claspers you've ever seen. I've had him for 1 year and about a year old when I got him. Seems odd to me a bit. Most other males have completely matured in 2 to 2.5 years for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Yeah about 2-2.5 years is normal

Bd have to be the most aggressive breeders I have seen once they are mature they go flat out to breed

But at 15" it should be mature

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
do you have him in with females or just alone?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
2 mature females and another mature male are together with him.

That setup with the females may not last long. My male BD is a total butthole to the female when they spawn. I just moved him Monday night after he beat up on her pretty good. At this point the males are in their own tank together and only get moved to tanks with females to breed so I can see who they have spiked. What are you feeding? That has a lot to do with growth.

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Ya I'm sure it won't. Some are breeding already and have had to separate one male before. They are fed an assortment of massivore, shrimp, and smelt. This makes growth isn't outrageous by any means. That's why I'm wondering. Anyone seen a male not mature till much bigger?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Ya I'm sure it won't. Some are breeding already and have had to separate one male before. They are fed an assortment of massivore, shrimp, and smelt. This makes growth isn't outrageous by any means. That's why I'm wondering. Anyone seen a male not mature till much bigger?

This is my male. Pic from moving him Monday night. He is pretty good sized but just started spawning last year.

uploadfromtaptalk1421898569111.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store