What causes rays to quit eating

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
I know I'm not the only one on here that has dealt with a ray that just decided to quit eating one day... Or Atleast I hope I'm not 😳. What course of action have u guys taken in an effort to regain their appetite. I currently have a male marble that came to me skinnier then Most would consider healthy. He's a WC that has been captive for 2 years or so. He was eating fine for the first week or two then slowly tapered off to less and less... I didn't want to medicate but when he quit eating I decided to seperate him and dose with prazi. He's on day 4 now and will eat an occasional crawler or two... But doesn't really have a good appetite. Any input would be apreciated! I was told of a bacteria in the water that is always present and comes out when fish are stressed. I can't think of the name of it but it's common in catfish... Wondering if that it's not ich but it's more internal and likes to attack the vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I know when my wild caught pair of Marbles stopped eating (around the age of 3.5-4 yrs old) on one ocassion I just waited it out and stayed on top of water. Eventually they started eating again. Never did find out why. I just attributed it to stress of some sort. Meds can sometimes perpetuate the not eating.

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
Water params in the tank he came from May not have been favorable. It was only cycled for about 2 months prior to adding a pair of larger Rays... I figured the filtration could handle it but that may have been the issue. I'm going to keep him out of there until he has all his weight back and he will be joining my pup tank system which has a very elaborate filtration system on it that has been up and running a lot longer.hes had About 50-60 crawlers in the past week or so... I'm gunna just keep him rolling on those until his weight is back up. He will take the occasional shrimp but he's not overly excited about it...tried tilapia he's not havin it. Yet to try smelt that's next on the list. Strange because his female companion that he came with will eat anything and she's doing just fine in my 600.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

palmer357

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
United States
He always loved feeder gold fish took a long time to get him on anything but feeders basically had to starve him off em hope he makes a full recovery if the tank he's in is to large you might have to hand feed him the feeders I always did best of luck man

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store