pool sand filtration for large tank.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
What are your thoughts on using a pool sand filter made for above ground pools as the main mechanical filter for the tank. I know an ultima 2 system is the better option but that's out of my price range at the moment. I found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSPHS1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the price just dropped$56 from when I put it in my wishlist months ago. That's cheeper than most canister filters. My only concern is pump efficiency, but I'm hoping I can swap out the one it comes with for one I already have and solve that problem.

Has anyone else done this?

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
One of these days. I plan on trying the new sunsun pond canister with an external pump. Im still looking for a good pump. That has about 1000gph at 8 feet head

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Pool sand filters are designed for clean water, just deal with body oil and the occasional pee basically. With solid waste and more bio load they can clog quickly, which is why companies like ultima and a dozen other pond filter places use larger beads or preferably odd shapes.

A lot of people also use pool sand filters for the primary bio filtration, but have mechanical filtration before it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
You are right to be concerned about efficiency.

Sand filters require high speed/high pressure pumps in order to work effectively (backflushing them requires lots of power...sand is heavy and when it globs up, it takes a lot of flow/pressure to break it up).

The pump that comes with the filter is 3/4HP which will draw around 750 watts. Running that pump 24/7 is going to consume ~540KWHRs per month. Not sure what you pay in Socal for electricity, but lets just say you pay $0.15/KWHr; that puts your monthly operating cost at $81 and your annual cost to operate the pump at $972.

The good deal on the filter ends up not being such a good deal over the long run.

How big of a tank are we talking about?

You can DIY a sump for super cheap and buy an efficient pump that isn't going to cost you a fortune to run. If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend going the DIY sump route.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I swear if youre not using a sand filter youre doing it wrong and theres no need to by an expensive one with "special" media. They are better than everything else out there in every way. I got a sweet little black sand filter from leslies pool supply, filled it with 50 lbs of sand and ran it with a mag drive pond pump. No need for a blower or a ton of water to back flush it just hook an air line up to the intake for back flushing(pics below). It requires so little water to back flush it I only run the air until my sumps half empty because I want to drain more water. They can be set up several ways also. My tank drains directly into my sump and then the waters pumped through the sand filter back to the main tank. Sump stays clean also. I keep a few fish in it and I put the filter media I already had in it even though the water was fine w/o it. I cant believe I wasted so much money and time on canisters and different types of mechanical filtration. These filters have way more capacity than what youre use to and all you have to do is turn a lever to clean em. Im glad you asked, Ive been meaning to start thread on this topic. The thought of opening a canister or buying a filter sock is like a joke now. 71suHCuOd3L._SX522_.jpg
I got this one for like a dollar in the sprinkler section at home depotd5c61b35-0327-47ac-b8a6-8eae2ed8ed39_400.jpg

71suHCuOd3L._SX522_.jpg

d5c61b35-0327-47ac-b8a6-8eae2ed8ed39_400.jpg

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
You are right to be concerned about efficiency.

Sand filters require high speed/high pressure pumps in order to work effectively (backflushing them requires lots of power...sand is heavy and when it globs up, it takes a lot of flow/pressure to break it up).

The pump that comes with the filter is 3/4HP which will draw around 750 watts. Running that pump 24/7 is going to consume ~540KWHRs per month. Not sure what you pay in Socal for electricity, but lets just say you pay $0.15/KWHr; that puts your monthly operating cost at $81 and your annual cost to operate the pump at $972.

The good deal on the filter ends up not being such a good deal over the long run.

How big of a tank are we talking about?

You can DIY a sump for super cheap and buy an efficient pump that isn't going to cost you a fortune to run. If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend going the DIY sump route.

Fyi I found several pumps that 3500 using around 1 amp
The ever lasting efficient mag drive runs 2.2 amps again liking better all the time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store