stocking my 100g with my first tokay gecko! need advice guys.. :)

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
so i purchased a small tokay gecko yesterday bout 4-5inch long now.. now ive finished setting up its tank and just to add a few fake plants later.. now, how am i going to get it to eat? how long should i wait for it to settle down and throw in some locusts ? need advice.. and fyi, this is my first tokay gecko ever.. need advice from you guys :)

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
That's a pretty big tank for a juvenile Tokay. It's going to be paradise someday but right now it might be a better idea to keep it in something smaller for the time being until it gets some growth to it. In a smaller tank it will also be easier to monitor how much food the gecko is eating. After your gecko has settled in for a day or so, go ahead and drop in some food.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
That's a pretty big tank for a juvenile Tokay. It's going to be paradise someday but right now it might be a better idea to keep it in something smaller for the time being until it gets some growth to it. In a smaller tank it will also be easier to monitor how much food the gecko is eating. After your gecko has settled in for a day or so, go ahead and drop in some food.
yeaahh i know.. but my two smaller tanks are stocked with my fish.. i have a plastic 5g tank but it is in really bad cndition.. i did threw out some grasshoppers in yesterday.. and it seems tht the amount of grasshoppers now is less than ystrday.. but im still not sure that he has eatin it or not.. should i just keep on throwing grasshoppers in it everyday? and what bout its water source.. i mist the tank everyday.. but should i put a water bowl as well? thanks for the reply Vicious _Fish ! :D

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I wouldn't add anymore food until they've all been eaten. You can add a water bowl if you want to but most of the water they take in is licked off plants so misting the tank twice a day will work just fine.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
yeah, i didnt.. i add when i have to .. today was the first time i saw it eating.. :) and regarding to the size of tank, i removed the plants as it is very hard for the gecko to spot its food.. i mist twice a day, morning and evening.. i wouldnt want to add a bowl anyway.. thanks :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store