Sponge filter questions

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
I'm about to set up a breeder tank for my Angel fish. I'm going to use a sponge filter. How long should the sponge be running before it's safe to put in the fish? I've been running a HOB filter in the tank for about 2 weeks now.
Second question is should I use a sponge for a larger tank or does that matter? My tank is about 13 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Run it alongside the hob for at least 2-3 weeks to be safe IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Run the sponge and HOB in the established tank to get it seeded then in about 3 weeks both filters should be ready to be moved to breeding tank along with breeding pair. Once moved, check water parameters daily to make sure there's no ammonia or nitrite. If there is, you'll either want to move everything back to the established tank or keep in the breeding tank and do daily 30% w/c until parameters are stabled

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Having a sponge in an established tank for 2-3 weeks will provide most of your bacteria to cycle a new tank. Running one for 4 weeks and then adding it to a new tank will completely cycle the new tank. This is how I "insta-cycle" every last one of my tanks and will continue to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store