"NEW" Big FIREMOUTH Beast!!!

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Picked up this new male Firemouth a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to photograph him ever since... only now has he started to show himself off. He's approx. 5.5" Body Length or 6.5" total length

Hes quite a Fire-starter :angryfire

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Nice looking Firemouth. Are you sure its a HE? Did you vent? Not seeing the divit on the slope of the forehead or the extensions on the dorsal and anal fin.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Nice looking Firemouth. Are you sure its a HE? Did you vent? Not seeing the divit on the slope of the forehead or the extensions on the dorsal and anal fin.
110% male..... He has vented as a male (infact, if you look at the pics you can see it down and the trailers on the fins are growing back after having been nipped back by his previous tankmates). Females are shorter bodied and stouter (I think I might know by now having bred them for about 6 years) ;)

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Really nice specimen. I've always wanted to do a species only tank with 8-10 Firemouths living together w/ dithers. The only thing I wish this species developed was a nuchal hump. I know that some male FM's show small ones, but think it would be so cool if they grew big thick foreheads. Can you imagine how intimidating a FM would be with a massive head and red flaring gills? Great find, and thanks for sharing.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
110% male..... He has vented as a male (infact, if you look at the pics you can see it down and the trailers on the fins are growing back after having been nipped back by his previous tankmates). Females are shorter bodied and stouter (I think I might know by now having bred them for about 6 years) ;)
Just asking if you vented. If you did then you would know. As you said you have been doing this for 6 years so you know they can be a little tricky. The pics looked shorter and deeper bodied that is why I asked no offense its a nice looking fish.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Really nice specimen. I've always wanted to do a species only tank with 8-10 Firemouths living together w/ dithers. The only thing I wish this species developed was a nuchal hump. I know that some male FM's show small ones, but think it would be so cool if they grew big thick foreheads. Can you imagine how intimidating a FM would be with a massive head and red flaring gills? great find, and thanks for sharing.
I personally don't care for nuchal humps but my male is actually getting a little one he is about 4". He is a little jerk to. Beat the snot out of the female he paired with took me nearly a month before he would accept her back into the group. I think they get the humps if they are in a group with more than 1 male. I have a group of 3 passionis and 2 meeki they look pretty cool together 1 male of each.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Here's a MONSTER FIREMOUTH found on the web... they do develop Nuchal humps but not to the degree of Red Devils...

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Just imagine a tank with big old bruiser Firemouths living in harmony... Their reds get much stronger with age :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store