Snakehead in SW PA?

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I've always wanted to catch a snakehead but I haven't been able to find them. I live near southwestern Pennsylvania and really want to catch some. Anyone know any places near me I could catch them? How should I outfit my tackle? You're supposed to kill them by law right? Any good or special ways to eat them? What species would I be catching? Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Have no info on fishing spots (i'm from germany) but snakehad can be fried in oil or cooked slowly in sauce. Use asian spices and more salt than yolu expect.
I think in PA you would catch (northern snakehead) Channa argus

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't know if the info has changed...but last I heard they only ever caught snakeheads in a pond near philadelphia.
Again I don't know if they've confirmed them elsewhere now in PA but that was the last I've heard.

Brucki was right, they were northern snakehead that were found here.

Tackle is easy. Think topwater bass fishing. spinners, spoons, frogs, crawdads...anything moving fast and shiny on the waters surface.

Cooking I have no clue. I've never caught a snakehead nor do I ever plan to.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Snakeheads are (thankfully) not found anywhere near our part (southwest) of the state and I hope they never are. They were only ever found in eastern pa in Philadelphia I believe, the species was Northern. If you want to make a trip out there then try fast, noisy, top water baits that would agitate the fish into attacking it. Then kill them which you must do legally, I'd use it for cut bait personally.

He closest fish we have around here would be Bowfin which are in Northwestern PA and are native. You might try fishing up there for them at places like Pymatuning or Erie.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Snakeheads are (thankfully) not found anywhere near our part (southwest) of the state and I hope they never are. They were only ever found in eastern pa in Philadelphia I believe, the species was Northern. If you want to make a trip out there then try fast, noisy, top water baits that would agitate the fish into attacking it. Then kill them which you must do legally, I'd use it for cut bait personally.

He closest fish we have around here would be Bowfin which are in Northwestern PA and are native. You might try fishing up there for them at places like Pymatuning or Erie.
There are bowfin in pymatuning?!?!?! I know were I'll be collecting in spring if thats the case hahaha

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
There are bowfin in pymatuning?!?!?! I know were I'll be collecting in spring if thats the case hahaha
I believe so, Pymatuning and Conneaught I think. Hit me up in the spring and I'll give you a hand if you want, lakes and rivers are very difficult to collect in without multiple people. I should be collecting in Erie at least a few times this year so I'll let you know what I find there; whether there's any bowfins or anything else interesting such as Burbot.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I believe so, Pymatuning and Conneaught I think. Hit me up in the spring and I'll give you a hand if you want, lakes and rivers are very difficult to collect in without multiple people. I should be collecting in Erie at least a few times this year so I'll let you know what I find there; whether there's any bowfins or anything else interesting such as Burbot.
definitely man. I camp at jamestown campground probably 6 times a year for a few days at a time so I'll be up there alot. Ya lemme know what you get up there at erie for sure

I'm half tempted to buy a bowfin now...couple sites have them early this year...

a burbot would be be pretty sweet too

makbarracuda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
virginia
Snakeheads are fairly numerous down here in the Potomac. Anywhere around dc and any adjoining waterways have them. I went after them last year saw 7 babies one trip up to about 8 inches but too smart to catch. They saw me and wouldn't hit anything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store