Sump shut off during feeding

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
In my african cichlid tank a lot of the floating pellets get into the overflow and end up in sump

I started shutting of pump and turning it back on after feeding.( Its on a remote)

Just wondering if anyone does the same? Should i try something different
Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Was very close to doing this because I couldnt get my sinking pellets to sink.

Ended up using a syringe to suck the air out of the pellets at each feeding (not as painful as it sounds). You could turn the pump off and everything, you just can't forget to turn it back on;)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've heard that Neptune Apex controllers have a built-in feature that turns pumps off for 5 minutes, then back on automatically with the touch of a button--so you don't have to remember to turn the pumps back on. I think there are some pumps that do this, too.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I used to take Hikari pellets and soak them for a few minutes in a cup of tank water, the soggy pellets sank really well.

I have a 90g african cichlid tank with a single overflow tower. I've had good luck feeding on the side opposite of the overflow. Sometimes ill grab a little handful and forcefully throw them at the water surface and they sink a little bit.

Also I decided not to do spray bars and I have my mag9.5 divided between a pair of 1" jets. If I throw the food in by the return jets it shoots the food down to the bottom of the tank and the fish grab the pellets before they get sucked into the sump.

I have to shut off the tank to feed flakes though. I only made that mistake once lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
O just feed a few at a time.
Sent from my car phone

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just need to be a little creative. Like devise something circular that will float and place this in front or around overflow during feeding. Something to the effect of a mini pool noodle. Hope this kind of makes sense

In my african cichlid tank a lot of the floating pellets get into the overflow and end up in sump

I started shutting of pump and turning it back on after feeding.( Its on a remote)

Just wondering if anyone does the same? Should i try something different
Thanx

I like the remote timer feature you mention.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Just need to be a little creative. Like devise something circular that will float and place this in front or around overflow during feeding. Something to the effect of a mini pool noodle. Hope this kind of makes sense
My brother has something similar in his reef tank where he has acrylic circular piece that he made slightly below the water surface. His auto feeder drops the pellets in there and are contained so fishes come up to eat. That's not going to apply for food that you want to sync of course.

My Waveline DC pumps have a 30min shutoff that I use to use before feeding when I first set up my tank a few months ago. I then tried just keeping both my return pump and closed loop circulation pump on while feeding floating pellets and frozen bloodworms and it's worked out fine. My overflow is built inside one end of the tank where the return is also pumping back water and creates a balance to keep the pellets in the tank for the fish to eat (although eventually it would probably go to the overflow if left too long). I keep the closed loop circulation pump on too since it blows the bloodworms around given the little aro a chance to eat the worms that are pushed towards the surface (rather than sinking).

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I just press the button that says feed, sump shuts down for 10 min then automatically resumes.

Jebao DC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store