Breeding blue tilapia

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
So ive had very successful spawns im currently working on a 4th. My big proplem im running into is that online i read all the time about colony breeding but for some reason i am cursed with some very monogamous tilapia. We can get them to breed when we pair them up but for some reason our males are too territorial to mate when thir are multiple females even if were positive that there are more than 3 females in the tank with him. He will stake his territory in the corner of the tank with his "cave" and then lure a fenale over and then chase off the other females when they come near. When we remove the females (xcept one) hell get down to business. Not really a problem since they are still breeding but i would like to maximize production if possible. Any suggestions or similar experiences. Just seems backwards from what ive read on the interweb.

puzzled in love. Fr33

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My experience is much like yours, where a pair goes off to spawn, they will exclude others from the area .
I find if I remove the male after spawning, put him back with the group, leaving the female to raise the spawn, he will immediately court the next ripe female.

Reactions: Fr33675

Fr33675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Kansas
Thanks. I'll try that. Only working with a long and tall 55 gal setup so didn't figure they'd have enough room for multiple males. Will give it a shot. Still no luck tried a colony and he chased one till it jumped out of the tank and picked on the other female till she had a bald spot so I took my largest female and tossed her in with him and trying to see if they pair off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store