Silver aro chasing black around the tank

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
At what size do aros coexist? I have 2 baby arowana. 1 keeps chasing the other around and nipping at the others fin. Should I move them and grow them out separately? Or the more the merrier? Get another to stop the bullying.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Aros are aggressive towards same species and conspecifics (similar species). I've only had luck in comming them as either M/F pairs or by keeping 4 or 5 together to spread the aggression of the dominant individual.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Will they eventually be able to coexist at a mature age or does the violence continue
#stoptheAroOnAroCrime

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Agreed, once one feels dominant, it doesn't usually stop. If you're looking for them to coexist in later time, then you will have to separate now for a while and reintroduce when they are a larger size and hope time has change things. You could also go the route already mentioned and get a few more to disperse aggression, but your aggravation with it all may continue as the dominant one could continuously harass them all. You never know. You could always get rid of the aggressor and try a different aro now

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Agreed, once one feels dominant, it doesn't usually stop. If you're looking for them to coexist in later time, then you will have to separate now for a while and reintroduce when they are a larger size and hope time has change things. You could also go the route already mentioned and get a few more to disperse aggression, but your aggravation with it all may continue as the dominant one could continuously harass them all. You never know. You could always get rid of the aggressor and try a different aro now
When I used to keep multi aros I found removing the aggressive one more damaging that good

If you remove the aggressive one all hell brakes out with the others trying to sort out a new alpha

I went back to just one aro as a solo aro is more graceful then watching multi aros fighting all the time with split fins and lost scales

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
When I used to keep multi aros I found removing the aggressive one more damaging that good

If you remove the aggressive one all hell brakes out with the others trying to sort out a new alpha

I went back to just one aro as a solo aro is more graceful then watching multi aros fighting all the time with split fins and lost scales

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was referring to the op's present scenario rather than a future possible scenario with 5 or so aros. I'm with you, ONE ARO PER TANK! No chance of torn up scales, fins and finding proper homes

Glad to hear op that you have the ability to separate and reintroduce, gd luck with their future, certainly a crapshoot with multiple aros

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Also, it doesn't surprise me that the silver is chasing the black. They can be a little more boisterous. A larger black with a smaller silver prob has the best chance

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store