P14 size

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm sorry to say my big female p14 died today
It was my own fault for not moving her sooner after she was getting harassed by 2 males
She was over 8 years old and would rather die than breed
She was born in my old tank 2 males was trying to breed with her but she wouldn't give it up

Information given in the past I feel is wrong by people saying they are a small black Ray as it has always been hard to get the real size in the tank
Her disk size was 28.3/4" and total size with tail 38.1/2"

It just goes to show that if a Ray is given all the tank space they need to grow to their full potential they can grow massive

Very sad day today

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Sorry to hear that Richard. I know you have said in the past that you would rather leave them alone to get on with it and that you are a one tank man. And i know i am stating the obvious here, but on this occasion separation would have saved her, but i guess the breeding attempts would only have come back at a later stage. Easier said than done i know when you have the one tank. That is a massive size she got to.
What 2 males were harrasing her and how big were they?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Sorry for your loss but why didn't you move her?
The size mainly as not many people around in the UK could have taken her as the tank would have needed to be 4ft wide min

She got beat up fairly bad on the first day but carried on feeding for about 3 weeks after

I had know she had had it for weeks and didn't want to put a Ray that was destined for death on someone else as it's not nice having such a large Ray die on you

This Ray had never bred in her life many males had tried but she was just to big for them to handle

I only have one female left from my original group now and I would love to see the males do this to her as she is super aggressive and would kick them into place

The tank look bare without her

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sorry to hear. She was one big ray.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Richard mate this is terrible news, really feel for you. I've admired your P14 from a far over the past couple years, she was quite the celebrity.

All you can do is think fondly of her just as we do when we lose any pet or person held close.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Richard mate this is terrible news, really feel for you. I've admired your P14 from a far over the past couple years, she was quite the celebrity.

All you can do is think fondly of her just as we do when we lose any pet or person held close.

I do think she was overly big as the other female I have is the same age but only 20" disk

This big girl was born nearly double the size of my other female
But it's the same with any animal some just get bigger than others

She had been in this tank 5 years in February

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Consider taxidermy? I've always wrestled with the thought of mounting a wet pet, in one sense it's a big accomplishment like catching a big one, but on the other hand would be sad to see a pet you've cared for for years on your wall, maybe it should rest in peace (I know you can get a fake one done but even symbolically).

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Consider taxidermy? I've always wrestled with the thought of mounting a wet pet, in one sense it's a big accomplishment like catching a big one, but on the other hand would be sad to see a pet you've cared for for years on your wall, maybe it should rest in peace (I know you can get a fake one done but even symbolically).

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I think the body would need to be in good condition for that she was beat up bad

This morning she was still breathing but the hybrids was eating her alive so I had to put a small divider in to keep them off her
It would have been impossible to divide my tank when she was active

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store