Lesions/Ulcers on Oscar

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Anyone have any idea what this may be? (Aquanero?) The fish has an old ulcer (I'll call it an ulcer unless someone can more accurately describe it), on the top near the dorsal which has healed. One directly below behind pectoral is starting to bubble up. The one near the caudal 'boiled up' and broke open a few days ago. This happens with this fish every 4 months or so. Same ulcers, same wounds that recess and then will boil up and break. The fish then will heal up whether being medicated or not. I am currently medicating.

Fish does not eat much when this happens and tends to lay around for a few days before returning to normal as the ulcers heal. I have an idea what it may be, but would like another opinion.

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
10-20 Nitrate

Weekly 30-40% water changes 150G tank. All other fish are healthy.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What is your Ph and what are you currently medacating with?

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks for responding. 7.6 pH and right now giving a 1 hour dip/bath with 3 drops of meth blue per gallon. Considering adding nitrofurazone to the meth blue and maybe kanamycin along with that.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Furan 2 is a good choice as I suspect aeromonas as the culprit. Method blue is a good first line defence if your not sure what you're dealing with. It can also be combined with furan and salt. Try the furan before going to the kanamycin give 3 days.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Ok we are agreed as I suspect aeromonas as well. I will try your suggestions. Thanks.

PS: Go Patriots! even though they may have cheated, again. :irked:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Any update?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
could be heater burn?

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Any update?

The fish is acting fine and eating well. Primary sore is open and looks pretty nasty. I'm continuing with daily 1 hour baths of meth blue and nitrofurazone. This is probably the 5th time in 3 years this has happened. May be a systemic infection? Odd.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The fish is acting fine and eating well. Primary sore is open and looks pretty nasty. I'm continuing with daily 1 hour baths of meth blue and nitrofurazone. This is probably the 5th time in 3 years this has happened. May be a systemic infection? Odd.
Read about furunculosis. I would go to the kanamycin if this is a chronic issue. Continue with the furan and MB and add the kana to them as well to hopefully give it the knockout punch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store