crazy amounts of nerites in miami area

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Finally moved to florida and went fish collecting near my house today. the whole creek is full of olive nerites. kind of neat.
all this time i have been buying them, but here they are free.

they also have lots malaysian trumpet snails here. which kind of upset me ( i guess they invasive)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not necessarily. There are species that resemble MTS. Such as Tarebia granifera. Although, this species, and other similar-looking native species, are egg-layers. Unlike the livebearing MTS.

celticjewel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2015
Alabama
Would you consider collecting and shipping some to Alabama, once the weather ,here, warms up some? Would pay for snails and shipping. There is guy in Louisiana, that does this and sells a lot of them. He sells them for $1 piece, and sometimes 50 cents. Might be a good way for you to make some extra cash.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
no sure how to ship them. if you would explain, i don't see why not

celticjewel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2015
Alabama
The ones I have received from Louisiana are simply in a plastic bag, with a paper towel and a very small amount of water. In a small box with padding around it. They are very cold sensitive so spring would be a good time to ship or you can use heat packs. You might could do a search on shipping snails to get more detailed info. It would be like picking up dollar bills, lol.You can put them on aquabid or ebay, also. There is a lot of interest in these snails since they are such good cleaners and you don't have to worry about mass babies.I would do if f I lived where I could collect them. Just thought it might be good idea to think about to help fund your FIH HABIT, if you are like me!

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
The ones I have received from Louisiana are simply in a plastic bag, with a paper towel and a very small amount of water. In a small box with padding around it. They are very cold sensitive so spring would be a good time to ship or you can use heat packs. You might could do a search on shipping snails to get more detailed info. It would be like picking up dollar bills, lol.You can put them on aquabid or ebay, also. There is a lot of interest in these snails since they are such good cleaners and you don't have to worry about mass babies.I would do if f I lived where I could collect them. Just thought it might be good idea to think about to help fund your FIH HABIT, if you are like me!

thanks. i'll look into it. i might have to look into legality issue as well. not sure what the law is on collecting them for sale.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Do you know if the water they are in is at all brackish?

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
i have not measured salinity. but it seems fresh. i got 2 species of gobies and 2 species of gambusia as well. all of them are in my fresh 75 gallon and doing really well.

i caught some really small crabs, but i think those were eaten by gobies because i have not seen them since they went into aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store