Striped Raphael Catfish KILLING Smaller Fish? HELP?!

SquidBonez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2014
USA
Hey guys. I have a tank with 5 (now 4) Tiger Barbs, a Reticulated Hillstream Loach, and a Striped Raphael Catfish. Today, I looked at my tank only to discover that one of my Tiger Barbs had been killed, torn open, and was missing it's eyes. This morning, it was fine. A couple hours later, it was dead. All of these fish have been together for more than a year, and all of my Tiger Barbs are female, so I can't imagine them fighting (to the death, that is). It more than likely lost it's eyes after it died, because many fish will eat the eyes of dead tank mates. But there is no fish in my tank strong enough to tear a Tiger Barb open other than the catfish. From what I understand, Striped Raphaels are pretty docile and shy. Could it be the catfish? :confused:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe the raph tore it open after it was dead but they don't have much potential to kill something as big as and as tall as tiger barbs unless they're fully grown (ie 8-12"). Your tiger barb mostly likely was killed by a conspecific.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe the raph tore it open after it was dead but they don't have much potential to kill something as big as and as tall as tiger barbs unless they're fully grown (ie 8-12"). Your tiger barb mostly likely was killed by a conspecific.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree. Or it was near death or died for a different purpose. Dead/weak/dying fish are picked on. Raph could have been suspected only if it could swallow it whole easily, e.g., a neon tetra, but even then, it appears very, very rare for raphs to do so.

SquidBonez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2014
USA
It was completely fine that morning. It's not like it was sick, so I'm still left scratching my head to what (or who) did the deed.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The tiger barbs killed it. They are mean little fish.
Agree again. IDK enough about the loach but with all I know and the three culprits listed, tiger barbs are favored one million to one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store