Corner ]v[onster Riparium: Its a Jungle in There!

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
So I've been gone a while....but not out by any stretch of the imagination, just haven't posted a whole lot lately. But I just got home from a little adventure and thought the tank looked good so i snapped a few pictures. Its a work in progress and very much an experiment but I'm pleased with how its turning out!

The Concept:

I wanted to create a display in the home that was different than the typical glass box. Ive been working in the industry a while now and get very bored with the glass box + fish type displays I'm surrounded with. I also wanted to combine a few of my other passions with my aquarium keeping: hydroponics and exotic plants.

The Execution:

After months of problem solving, development, and building I finally had something I was proud of. I used an extremely large manzanita branch as a focal point, and attached it to a large hollow log to provide some sort of cover for inhabitants. The manzanita is used as a mounting site for Tillandsia's above the water and will be used for Java ferns beflow the surface, showcasing the variability of air-plants and other epiphytes. I also took the opportunity to add a few of my vast collection of world-wide mangroves or salt tolerant trees to the mix. Their rockwool planters are floating and suspended by string from the tree to allow use of the tank water as a hydroponic medium.

Below the water i plan on adding various tropical lilys (one is in already to test the viability) and other unique aquatics in a sparsely planted system, after all the ]v[onsters are the focal point here.

Stocking is of course Cichla-centric, with currently 7 species in the collection and more in the works. There are some bichirs and other miscellaneous inhabitants as well including a docile Mbu puffer and a freshwater moray.

Enough Jabbering! Pics!

Full Tank Shot:

Tillandsias:

Top Down:

Kelzul:

Temensis:

Ornate Bichir:

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
That is one of the coolest tanks that I have seen. I was going to suggest you put some birds in there, but then I saw the aro.

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
That is one of the coolest tanks that I have seen. I was going to suggest you put some birds in there, but then I saw the aro.
I considered birds as well, also considered lizards, but havent decided how exactly to work them into the design just yet without compromising their husbandry.

Does the FW Moray not try and escape?
The netting is held extremely tightly against the tank frame by use of a nylon ratchet strap, I'm sure he attempts escape but it is impossible

the cichla are looking good bro! tem looks beast!
Thanks man, love the tem! He fits right in with the boyz!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Such a rad concept!
It looks great! I love your choice of stock as well.
More pics of the bass please. And how about some filtration info/pics?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
Such a rad concept!
It looks great! I love your choice of stock as well.
More pics of the bass please. And how about some filtration info/pics?
Ill try and snap some more pics in the coming days. things are hectic around the house with new systems going up and new fishes landing almost daily.

Filtration is achieved using 3 of cobalts new-ish E-X-T Canisters with the original pumps junked and replaced by the Hydor Seltz L-40 (745GPH) pumps. The canisters are all full to the brim of seachem matrix. Water changes are done at least once a week, over 75% percent.

Very cool. I've always wanted to explore the space above the waterline.
me too! i first experimented with a saltwater systems building an island and incorporating mangroves and riparian grasses and moved up to this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store