Does It Bother You When Your Fish Is Scared of You & Hides All The Time?

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
So you are excited about fish keeping. You have set up the tank and deco etc. And finally after constant selections you pick the right fish and release it in your tank.

A week has passed and your tank looks empty of fish. Nothing is swimming in there because your fish is frightened of you and all it does is hide.

You thought fish keeping would ease your current stress but now you are also stressed about something new.

The only time you secretly notice your fish slowly coming out is at night when everyone is asleep.

Frustrated you just go to bed and focus on daily living and what is required to maintain your new responsibility (fish keeping).

You tell yourself hopefully one day your fish will come out of hiding. But at the back of your head you are thinking about introducing another fish which perhaps an active and interactive species. But that's what people said about your current fish. Active and interactive. Only time will tell.

The End

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's natural for most fish. They get stressed from leaving the waters they were born. Placed into some lfs and then your tank. The best can be done is to make your tank as inviting and calm as possible with decor and hiding spots. Regular and consistent times for feeding and cleaning. To be a habitual thing and just maybe the fish will settle down and be more active.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
It's pretty normal for a fish to feel that way and be stressed out. I don't speak fish, but I would imagine any human being or animal would feel unsecured about their fate if they were taken from their homes or natural habitats and put somewhere unknown.

Wouldn't you feel the same as your fish if you were taken by aliens without notice and put in a room being observed?

Give your fish time to get used to his surrounding and you, as his prime source of food. It takes patience and care in fish keeping to really enjoy it.

And I agree, fish species make a lot of difference too. Some species can adapt themselves to surrounding faster than others. Maybe stick with community fishes in the future and do a little more research on the fish you are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
guess you didn't "pick the right fish"
Lol...Sarcosuchus has been a member here since 06 so he should know a thing or two about whichever fish he likes...This kind of behavior is common with most of the fish that I like to keep,especially when they are young so I am pretty much used to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store