Polypterus Wild population

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi, ive always thought about this when buying wild bichirs, and i was wondering if any of you knew how the fish keeping hobby of these exotic fish effects their wild populations. I dont think its as bad as arowanas used to be and still are, but they certainly are decreasing are they not? Wouldnt it just be better to always go for CB fish to preserve their natural ecosystem? I know this is a bit subjective because im sure the natives over there probably eat the lower jaw species as a delicacy but idk i feel like its detrimental.

Not judging anyone at all, i just have always been curious about this.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It definitely has an affect on the wild population especially if you consider the amount that arrive doa but I don't think it's that much of an impact like aros are since they are more sought after than bichirs. It is always best to go with cb though cuz that puts no dent in the wild population

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Because the collection points are in places of civil war which fluctuate then I think that helps preserve the bichirs. But I'm sure it's getting thinned out. Would be nice to know the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
PBB in Nigeria is actually listed as VU (Vurnerable) . Also nigerian ropefish are now listed as CR (Criticaly Endangered) The rest have no starus so that mean they are safe for now. Espcially senegalus populations increases each year. I'm trying to look for other documents to snap pics cant seems to find where I placed them. As far as I can remember many of the bichirs with "(VU)" are in Nigeria and Guinea or most part of West Africa. Central and East Africa seems safe.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Very interesting thank you king, i had no idea the ropefish and african knifefish were vulnerable as well. And i had no idea there was so many oil spills over there thats really sad :(

Do you have other species reports of other african species of fish? Or more of the polypterus species?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
King, do you know if their status' are like that because of being collected or are they just naturally endangered in that area? Or is it both?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
The letter "D" in the breeding section stand for "difficult but possible". "E" = easy to breed, VD = Very difficult, NK= not known.

Since ropefish that are being sold are mainly wild caught and hard to breed in captivity is one of the reason the population went down. Too much wild ropefish being harvest but not enough breeding to make up for the wild caught harvest. As for the PBB status. Nigerian rivers are polluted with oil and also lake Chad itself is getting smaller. Since the demand of PBB the in aquarium hobby as well as for meat due to size made them listed as VU. The only area where PBB are safe is in Cameroon in lagoon river. As far as I can remember another bichirs listed in as VU is the moke, tuegelsi and palmas palmas.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Wow, that would make sense, i mean the are the most sought after upper jaws, is retropinnis and polli not VU?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Not my pics. Credit to the supplier.

This is how bichirs are being held after they are collected in the wild. They are not being feed until an exporter/imported from foreign country orders from them. Who knows how many days/weeks they stay in that container. Some will end up for human consumption but many are being ship abroad.

Compare to what being sold for human consumption

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store