Fighting fish in new 300 gallon. Help!

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Hello! I just added my GT and my Jag to a 300 gal tank. The only tankmates since it is new are two large silver dollars. The tank is 8ft long with lots of rocks and wood. They have only been in for a couple of hours and already they are both scratched up (GT is wearing the worst of it) from mouth fighting for dominance. Unfortunately at this point I have no other large cichlids to add to the tank to distribute aggression. What should I do? Let them sort it out? Move the GT back to a smaller but safe tank? The only other tankmate I could add at this time is a 15 inch redtail - shovelnose cross catfish. Looking for some good advice. I don't want my GT killed. Thanks for your time and ideas.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
GT are not nearly as strong as jags, from my experience. If they're the only 2 inhabitants you're just asking for trouble if they aren't evenly matched. I'd take the Jag out for now if it's the dominant one until you get more tank mates. I would place the jag in the tank last, with the lights off. I had the most success doing that, but it's all luck based when making a large CA/SA community :)

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Believe it or not the GT is now swimming about and the Jag is hunkered down behind some wood. All is calm, at least for now. I have some material for a temporary divider that I'll make if things heat up again. Thank for ur feedback. Please share any other experienced like this. Love to hear how yours played out.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I got same thing happened, Jag claimed the biggest cave then leave GT alone unless it wander into his claimed territory.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What happens when the Jag gets bigger, though? I think you need to get some more fish in there to give the Jag something to focus on besides the GT. Jags don't have any respect for "pecking order". A bigger fish shows a Jag who's boss today, the Jag completely forgets the whole incident 6 hours later, and they go right back to "sorting it out". Jag's are relentless. Jag's are moody, too. They sit in their little spot for a few hours/days like they're just oblivious to the rest of the tank, then something clicks and they decide no fish can come within 4 feet of their spot. Then they come out and swim around with all the other fish like they're just part of the gang and happy to be there. Jags are wierd.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
LOL "Jags are wierd" probably fit right in for my Jag. Its like to hide for hours, sometimes days, sometimes just come out and chasing other fishes around then go back to its spot and rest... :D

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
The plan is to add more fish for sure but this is all have at this point. Hard to get larger mature cichlids in the smallish city I live in in BC, Canada. Will hopefully have more ASAP.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
What happens when the Jag gets bigger, though? I think you need to get some more fish in there to give the Jag something to focus on besides the GT. Jags don't have any respect for "pecking order". A bigger fish shows a Jag who's boss today, the Jag completely forgets the whole incident 6 hours later, and they go right back to "sorting it out". Jag's are relentless. Jag's are moody, too. They sit in their little spot for a few hours/days like they're just oblivious to the rest of the tank, then something clicks and they decide no fish can come within 4 feet of their spot. Then they come out and swim around with all the other fish like they're just part of the gang and happy to be there. Jags are wierd.
+1!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store