Sick Sleeper Goby

Briantcasey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
All over
My marbled sleeper goby had white feathery stuff coming out of its gills about a month and a half ago. I treated with erythromycin but there was no noticable change. Then I started trating with PraziPro and the white stuff went away but now there are red soresunderneath the gills and on the under belly area. I started trating for bacterial and fungal infection 4 days ago but now the white stuff is coming back. Ill post pics as soon as i can figure out how. Anyone know what it could be? Am i treating for the right illness? Ph: 6.8. Amonia 0, nitrate and nitrites are both 5.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't know how sensitive gobies are to meds, but try Jungle Fungus Clear. My pickerel had something similar...white fuzzy growths and then when I'd get those to go away he would have big welts or raised areas on his head and sides. He's clear now but he is still in QT. No white fuzzies and no bumps or sores on him.

Good luck.

On a side note...I tried EVERY other treatment before this. Salt, heat, prazi pro, paraguard, furan-2 and kanaplex together. The jungle med is the only one that worked. Be warned it is a copper based fungus medication and I know some fish aren't huge fans of copper lol.

Prazi pro isn't going to help...its mainly for internal parasites. I did it as a precaution in case there was a threat of internal parasites but it won't have an effect on the fungus really.

Briantcasey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
All over
Thanks, he's in with a peppermint crocodilefish and 2 butis butis. The crocs are pretty sensitive ive heard. I may try it though.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'd get him out of the tank anyhow. get a QT tank set up and him in it. Then I'd watch the other tank, and probably treat with paraguard, as a precaution to the other fish getting it.

Briantcasey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
All over
The 4 fish all came together and are in a QT tank. Im affraid of putting the others in the intended tank untill I know the issue has been resolved.

Briantcasey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
All over
Lost the croc and both Butis Butis. None showed any signs of infection so Im guessing they just couldnt handle the meds. No change in goby.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I had something like this happen this week. I noticed a few white spots on a Buenos Aires Tetra of mine. It kind of looked like ick but not really. I went ahead and used quick cure. Fish were swimming better the next day but now the one Buenos Aires tetra had what looked liked ripped fins. I started looking at the other fish for biting but couldn't catch anyone. My Spotted African leaf fish caught two bumps behind his eye too. This is my baby. These didn't look like ick so I decided to try Melafix. This has worked great in the past for almost everything. The Buenos Aires Tetra and the leaf fish both got spots/growths on their eyes. I started doing a water change immediately. The spot went away by morning on the leaf fish but the Buenos Aires Tetra kept it. All fish were swimming and eating better yesterday. I added a half dose of Melafix to keep the whatever it was coming off. This morning, The Buenos Aires tetra was covered again and not swimming well... I still didn't know what was getting my fish so I tried the quick cure. When I got home, the Buenos Aires tetra wasn't swimming. I figured he past quarantine, which is sad because Saturday looked hopeful. He got axed. The leaf fish looked great. One of my glo tetras looked like it had a burn on it and I figured it wasn't a burn. I also noticed that hey, his eye is blown out! I must have missed it when I turned my attention to the Buenos Aires. I called petsmart and I was recommended to get tetramycin for curing parasites. I need to get this when they open tomorrow. or now, I looked around the internet for white parasites and white clouds and decided I either have a crab parasite or fungus or both. Both had the same in house solution: Salt water bath. Everyone but the leaf fish got bathed. Just added stress coat to bring the stress down and help with the bath recovery. All the glo tetras are stressed. The electric blue ram is ok. His white spots went away. He just isn't swimming around stress-free.

Is this maybe what you have? Is the jungle stuff better than tetramycin? Would hate to lose all these fish... Had the buenos aires tetras and the red serpae for 2 years... And, the spotted leaf fish is my baby.

Thanks. Hope this helps your situation and mine.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
The methylene blue and salt has been the best solution. I think something is living in the water in the tank. I gotta figure out a way to bomb it, I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store