rbp tank set up

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Some advise on set up please
i just picked up 8 rbp that are between 8 and 10 inches and it was sprung on me bad, heard about them day before I got them, they are in a 8 foot 2.5 foot tank with min decore that used to house a jaguar cichlid pair so set up needs to change quick.
Want to know how much open swimming space to provide and how dense to make the cover.
planning on using one end up to about the 1/3 of the tank as cover with drift wood and silk plants (these guys seem to hate the lights so no go on lie plants) want it to be pretty dense and provide good cover for all 8 fish then leaving the remaining 2/3 of tank as open swimming area
is this correct tank lay out
Many thanks mark

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
Get drift wood and some very large fake plants and then them float at the top of tank if is long enough you can plant it that will act as shade I would also suggest getting a power head. And of course a lot of food!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
thanks
got some drift wood soaking in the bath tub
got tones of fake plant need more thou but heading rite direction
dam these guys can eat seem to eat 2 as much as cichlids

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
You could technically do live plants and spot lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No RBPs in my tanks, but I keep my community tank half low-light/half high to keep the polys and plants happy. I created a big driftwood stump with two large caves on the high light side, and surrounded it with dense patches of java fern, anubias, and large swords. That gives the Poly's a place to hide out on the high light side. I just clamped a roost lamp to a hook on my ceiling and slightly angled it toward the low light side to get the right effect. Looks better than all low light, or all high light to me. Asymmetry=naturalistic.

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
ended up doing plastic plants, just seemed like half the effort
will use half light idea thou i like that seems like it will work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store