New member, first post, 4 years experience in fish keeping

kramozo

Feeder Fish
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to join. I have been keeping fish for about 4 years. Have 150 gal with South African cichlids, a 75 gal with South American cichlids, 29 gal with angels, and 2 fire belly toads (class pet 5 years ago). Plus two cats and a service dog. Quite the household.

I am thinking about going into a 125 gal tank for a BGK. Am in the researching phase, lots of questions. I have read that they need a large tank, so I am going to start large and not put them through the trauma of moving into a larger tank. I have some blood parrots and am thinking of having them share the 125 gal. They are large enough to not get eaten, and are pretty docile in temperament.
Welcome any comments, as I am in the theory stage. Would the parrots get larger after moving into the larger tank? Hmmm. So much to think about. The planning is half the fun

have a great day
kramozo:nilly:

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Welcome! I'm new too...few hours before you :) I think you are posting in wrong section :D

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Welcome to MFK!

The parrots will not grow larger as a direct result of being in a larger tank. My dad got me started in the hobby at a very young age (to give you an idea, the first books I learned to read were mostly fish husbandry/identification guides), but he held a lot of the notorious old-fashioned misconceptions about fish keeping (the inch per gallon rule, the idea of "cycled water," the idea that all fish require decorations and gravel, etc.), and one of those misconceptions was that "fish grow to the size of the aquarium." He always thought that putting a small fish in a big tank would make it grow larger than its normal potential, and more disastrously, he believed that putting large species in small tanks at a young age would make them stay small enough to keep in the tank for life. In reality, as long as the fish is healthy, its growth potential is not going to change with more or less available space. And the only way to keep a fish smaller than its potential size is by keeping it in unhealthy conditions and stunting its growth (which of course eventually kills the fish).

That being said, long as you keep them healthy, your parrots will grow over time, regardless of the tank size. Blood parrots do grow quite slowly though, from what I've heard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store