Is all Co2 the same?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since my LFS thats closest to me just shut down today, im now searching for other spots near by to refill my pressurized Co2 bottles...

Then while searching for stores, i read that over here at least, you can get Co2 refilled from certain stores that deal in fire fighting equipment, and was wondering, would that work or are would there possibly other gasses that could potentially br mixed in?

I know may sound like a stupid question, but really dont want to risk losing a whole colony of high grade crystal red shrimp...

Thanks

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have no idea the answer to your question, but I'd be hesistant to use something for fire extinguishing.

Is there a paintball shop by you? You should be able to get CO2 refill there

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks for the suggestion, i was planning on calling some gun shops tmr actually... Although over here people are more into Air Soft guns / BB guns, rather than paintballing, so still a bit hit ot miss if the shops near me will have refilling services available, but definitely worth a try...

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
All CO2 is the same. I would advise against fire extinguisher CO2 just because there may be additives and flame retardants mixed in. Just go to a paintball shop and they will fill your CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Airsoft and painball or BB guns they all using same type of CO2, actually alot of folks using mini pressurize CO2 bottle that use in Airsoft or BB Guns in their planted tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yeah, over here though a lot of shops have closed down over the years due to soaring rent and property prices, and im not sure the few gun shops near me will have Co2 refilling options as stated.... Especially since most are quite small...

Also, after some looking into it a bit more, there seems to be several grafes of Co2 including food grade / industrial grade and some other grade of Co2, although not sure if they really make a difference...

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
Try looking for Home Brew stores, or maybe even some larger liquor stores. They might refill tanks for peoples home kegerators. Those should have food grade, so no worries about killing your shrimp.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store