Anything comparable to the FX5?

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
I had one of these in the past and loved it... the only thing I wasn't so fond of was the price. Is there anything comparable out there that is just a good?

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Sun-Sun canister filters could be a option

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Sump...

Honestly I hated my fx5. They are to heavy when full and too large. At least with a sump you can achieve far greater bio filtration and choose the pump of your choice. This way it can turn out to be more reliable.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sun-Sun canister filters could be a option

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 The specs aren't close to the fx5 nor the name as the quality maybe a bit cheap when used. I have the 402b with uv light and working well for 1.5 years now. Can't beat the price.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I posted this earlier in your WTB post:
I have this, and I like it a lot. Just need to replace 4 of the original o-rings (about $5 fix) and the filter is a work horse. Shoot me a PM and I can give you the exact size o-rings you'll be needing http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-...00-p/42051.htm

I own multiple units(5) of both Sunsun and Odyssea. I prefer the Odyssea for mechanical and Sunsun for biological. The Odyssea is essentially a rip off design of the FX, with the pump on the bottom instead of on top like other canisters. Giving a choice, I would go with Odyssea over Sunsun for performance......but the Sunsuns are easier to clean

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
+1 to the Odyssea, I have 3. I have the small 500, the 700, and the 1400 which is about 3 feet tall and still way cheaper than an fx5 :) Had some issues with the sun sun, but all my Odysseas are running strong!

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Are the I rings that come with it brand new just not good? What problems have you had with these?

I posted this earlier in your WTB post:
I have this, and I like it a lot. Just need to replace 4 of the original o-rings (about $5 fix) and the filter is a work horse. Shoot me a PM and I can give you the exact size o-rings you'll be needing http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-...00-p/42051.htm

I own multiple units(5) of both Sunsun and Odyssea. I prefer the Odyssea for mechanical and Sunsun for biological. The Odyssea is essentially a rip off design of the FX, with the pump on the bottom instead of on top like other canisters. Giving a choice, I would go with Odyssea over Sunsun for performance......but the Sunsuns are easier to clean

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
I just got rid of my two fx-5's and got two Eheim 2262's. What a HUGE difference. The eheim's are a way better design. Absolutely no bypass, dead silent, holds way more bio media, and it is much much easier to clean. I absolutely hated cleaning the FX5 - when I pull the center trays out it looked like a chocolate cake - and this was only after 1 month. The amount of scrubbing and rinsing those dam 6 sponges were too much for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store