New member from Northeast Nevada

Mark Allred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2015
Spring Creek, Nevada
I am looking forward to being a part of this group. From what I can see it looks dedicated, informed and congenial crowd! :)
I have been keeping fish for 46 years now, and have kept a wide variety of freshwater fish. I did bail from the hobby from 2005-2010.
Cichlids have always been my favorites, due to their intelligence and looks!
A few different times I have decided to go Saltwater.
Bought a bunch of books, and researched enough to where I was comfortable in doing that.
I would head into the city to buy a big tank to get started, spot some cichlids I liked, and go home with a big tank of cichlids!:naughty:
Since I got into the planted aquarium thing, salts don't even interest me anymore.
Presently I have a 125 gallon, heavily planted mostly Angelfish tank, a heavily planted 65 High,
a heavily planted 29 populated with L183 Starlights, and a few Apistos, and Neon tetras.
These three tanks all are running home built LED lighting. The 125 and 65 run wet/dry and CO2 injection.
I just setup a 40B to grow out some Angelfish I just received from a couple of well known breeders.
I have a 10 gallon I am growing out some baby Ancistrus in.
What brought me to this group was a Google link to the "The use of Probiotics in Aquaculture" thread.
After pulling a huge Echinodorus bleheri out of my 125, I apparently roused the demon in the form of pathogenic bacteria.
I lost 5 prized adult Angelfish in 4-5 days. It sucked.
So now I am doing tons of research on probiotics, competitive exclusion, waste control bacteria, pathogens, etc.

I have long been that "do frequent water changes" and "additives are unnecessary" guy. I am changing my tune.
Just when you think you know it all, you find you don't!

Hope I haven't bored someone to tears here :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
welcome to mfk.post some photos soon

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome, Mark!

Nice intro. Not boring at all. Matter of fact it is much, much better than the boring one liner intro that's usually the norm, or newbies coming in pi$$ing and moaning right out of the gate.

Post pics when you get a chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store