Treating/containing fish tuberculosis help

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Alright so long story short, I had a 40 gallon aquarium with guaranteed fish tuberculosis (mycobacterium marinum), and I dumped everything out towards the end of the summer: tank, filter, decor, bucket, hose, everything except some food and the stand. I replaced the tank and everything and started fresh, and bought a juvenile blood parrot, and another one along with a Siamese algae eater about a month after I bought the blood parrot. All 3 fish lived happily until last week.

Oddly enough the blood parrot that was introduced a month after the first one had died without clear indications of TB on its body, but the big pointer is that neither blood parrot grew even a centimeter since they were introduced, and it's been almost half a year, feeding at least once a day. The SAE is growing steadily but is slowing down. Judging by the SAE's normal swimming patterns I assume he is fine at the moment.

By now I am beginning to see the remaining blood parrots stomach somewhat begin to thin out, but I'm not quite 100% certain. Although his stomach isn't inverted or caved in like many of my past cases in the old tank, in general I notice that his stomach is very lacking in mass and is flat, and not rounded out. He is also beginning to swim in a very distinct way that infected hosts swim in; a sort of uncomfortable awkward pattern that's very hard to describe and differentiate from regular swimming patterns until you observe the two side by side.

Either way I am definitely planning to bathe the tank. There are only 2 fish left anyway in a spacious 40 gallon, so I don't have much to lose. I'm planning on running a combo of both liquid baby vitamin B-6 and Kanamycin. I've seen a surprising amount of posts with positive results from Kanamycin regarding treatment of fish TB, some saying that the drug worked so well it cured the bacteria despite the spinal and structural damage it's already done, leaving the fish healthy but deformed.

Just want anyone whose treated or has experience with bacterial infections to give their thoughts, and if you think you have a better medicinal recommendation, Id definitely love to hear it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Had some Boesmani Rainbows with Myco. Myco seems to be common with these fish. Told by rainbow experts it's best to euthanize and soak the tanks and filters in a strong calcium hypochlorite solution. Then to spray down with alcohol.

As far as the fish, I experimented with multiple treatments. Kanamycin, Kana/Nitrofurazone combo, other antibiotics,etc. One antibiotic that was strongly recommended and showed promise by others was enrofloxacin. I tried that on a few of the fish, to no avail. I think I dosed them as recommended for a week or two. I ended up euthanizing after weeks of trying to cure them. Do some research on enrofloxacin would be my advice as well as try the kanamycin.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Had some Boesmani Rainbows with Myco. Myco seems to be common with these fish. Told by rainbow experts it's best to euthanize and soak the tanks and filters in a strong calcium hypochlorite solution. Then to spray down with alcohol.

As far as the fish, I experimented with multiple treatments. Kanamycin, Kana/Nitrofurazone combo, other antibiotics,etc. One antibiotic that was strongly recommended and showed promise by others was enrofloxacin. I tried that on a few of the fish, to no avail. I think I dosed them as recommended for a week or two. I ended up euthanizing after weeks of trying to cure them. Do some research on enrofloxacin would be my advice as well as try the kanamycin.
I read that Kanamycin and antibiotics should be dosed for at least 30 days before its full effect can take place. That may apply to the enroflaxacin as well. Do you think I should swap the vitamin B-6 for the enroflaxacin ?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Myco Bacterium infections seem to favor some species, so there could be a genetic component involved. Blood parrots do seem to be prone to a few diseases(including Myco. infections), depending where they are sourced from. Fish TB/Myco bacter. are often misdiagnosed. It was my understanding they are a opportunistic pathogen, present in all aquariums but only a problem if a fish has a weaken immune system. One other thing to consider, bent spines can signal vitamin deficiency. Good luck with your fish.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
I know that certain treatments do call for the 30 day regimen. I don't think that is the case with the enrofloxacin. I certainly doubt B-6 will interfere negatively with any treatment. My experience was three years ago, and I think that if there is no improvement within a couple weeks, then there is no reason to continue with that treatment. Don't hold me to that, though. Keep in mind that if anyone knows how to cure this disease, it will be the guys that deal with Koi since there is a lot of money involved. Also keep in mind, that a lot of people think they are getting results from antibiotics, when in fact the disease is not even Myco at all.

What I'll do is send you a link to another forum via PM and you can read up on my experience and the advice I was given. I'd post it here, but am unsure if that is against the rules or not. There is more info in that thread than I can post here.

Edit: Keep in mind that nitrofurazone and kanamycin can be combined and that is often recommended. Do not combine enrofloxacin with any other antibiotic.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I know that certain treatments do call for the 30 day regimen. I don't think that is the case with the enrofloxacin. I certainly doubt B-6 will interfere negatively with any treatment. My experience was three years ago, and I think that if there is no improvement within a couple weeks, then there is no reason to continue with that treatment. Don't hold me to that, though. Keep in mind that if anyone knows how to cure this disease, it will be the guys that deal with Koi since there is a lot of money involved. Also keep in mind, that a lot of people think they are getting results from antibiotics, when in fact the disease is not even Myco at all.

What I'll do is send you a link to another forum via PM and you can read up on my experience and the advice I was given. I'd post it here, but am unsure if that is against the rules or not. There is more info in that thread than I can post here.

Edit: Keep in mind that nitrofurazone and kanamycin can be combined and that is often recommended. Do not combine enrofloxacin with any other antibiotic.
Thanks for the heads up about the enroflaxin. I'll look into nitrofurazone. This may be a bit ridiculous but do you think I could combine vitamin B-6 with nitrofurazone and kanamycin at once?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Myco Bacterium infections seem to favor some species, so there could be a genetic component involved. Blood parrots do seem to be prone to a few diseases(including Myco. infections), depending where they are sourced from. Fish TB/Myco bacter. are often misdiagnosed. It was my understanding they are a opportunistic pathogen, present in all aquariums but only a problem if a fish has a weaken immune system. One other thing to consider, bent spines can signal vitamin deficiency. Good luck with your fish.
Thanks. I'm wondering why it came back after I got rid of everything. Most likely really unlucky and bought the new fish with tuberculosis AGAIN.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
UPDATE: just ordered Neomycin and Kanamycin, gonna start the fish on that combo. Nitrofurazone was nearly $50, so I think I'm gonna hold off unless it gets worse for the fish. Does anyone have any advice on how to CONTAIN the disease, i.e. not let it infect the SAE or future fish that will be added to the tank? Thanks

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Don't add any fish to the tank for 6 months after the last sign of illness. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store