FX5 and the BUBBLES + Hagen recommendations

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
OK, so we've all seen these threads and I've posted in them. I wanted someone else to provide some input here. I already spoke with hagen and they are wanting me to do some ridiculous crap and are not emailing me. Lady said she did 3 days ago, it was never received and I check spam folder. Said she re-emailed me today and never got it either. Her explanation when I spoke to her this afternoon "We're having emailing system problems." Sure you are.

My FX is taking on a TON of air. Constant microbubbles and sounds like a waterfall inside my fluval.

So, what are most recommendations - 1. Replace ALL of the O-rings 2. Inspect and or replace ribbed tubing/ rubber hose connectors 3. Replace aqua-stop valves 4. Simply reseat the o-rings, maybe somehow the first time you didn't do it right 5. Lubricate o-rings (technically when you first install them I guess but too late for me) 6. Inspect all of the screws for the lid (none of mine are cracked)

Well, needless to say I've done all of that. Incrementally over 4 months to try and find the problem. First was the o-rings, reseating them a couple of times. And, its a given that they wear out, did not lubricate them initially because I sat them each (minus the aqua-stop to canister o-rings they are tiny) in a 5 gallon bucket of water for an hour for a "rinse" as they were slick to begin with. No success but it did slow down air penetration. 2 weeks later replaced aquastop valves, no change. 1 month later (work was killing me working 4 6 day work weeks so just WC's) replaced aquastop valves. No change again. Sigh, 2 months later (between work, getting married, wife going to the hospital from the food at the wedding along with 20 other people and our honeymoon) replaced the hoses. Did find a hole from the clamps being over tightened (I've never touched them because they never had a problem from prior owner in 5 years) STILL no change. Searched around at LFS's for an aquarium safe silicone lube, found one at a pool store "pinch-a-penny" and it's the same brand that's carried on Foster & Smith. AGAIN no change.

So I contact hagen via website give them my email, phone, address, etc and the same description. So, 3 days after the supposed first email I call them. Lady proceeds to tell me that my hoses are completely wrong because they need to be 100% vertical with no slack what so ever and only have a tolerance of between 6 and 12 inches apart. Um, ok so you want that much water to recirculate to the filter? None the less 5 years of no problems for me and I see nearly everyone doing this and generally no issues. Talk about a waste from them with 13.5 feet given of hoses if that was the case. Next she tells me that having 4 coarse (blue) filter pads is too much, as well as having 750g fluval prefilter, and 1000g (between lower trays) of biomax is too much. I need to only have 1 blue pad and 1000g of biomax and prefilter media in whatever order because they are completely filled in 8-10 days. Sorry lady, mine aren't with my bioload of >30 tropical sub 5" fish. Nor were they full after 2 months with Pbass, and large CA cichlids. And I actually have run upwards of 5 at one time with the cichlid setup. Never had air bubbles like this. But why are each of the tray's as big as my entire fluval 206 if I cannot use that space?????? And the typical question was " Do you have power heads and how far away is your aerator from the intake", my answer. 100gph powerhead intank uv sterilizer and the airstone is over 1 ft and the next is 4 feet near the output and airstones are buried in 2 inches of gravel to not release microbubbles saturating the water with air. She moved on but did say if taking out all of my pads and a tray of biomax didn't fix it that she wanted a picture of my setup. Seriously? I'm flabbergasted.

So, please. Enlighten me what else I can do with this goddamn filter other than throw it away, because I'm at a loss.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Forgot to add in that my hoses are at a Y from the FX middle of the stand below and the intake and outlets are about 16 inches in from the ends on the 72" tank.
Durrr picture too just for reference.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
I have heard of people having trouble with this when they put too much media in the baskets. Have you tried running the filter without any media in it recently? My next question is if you have your intake hard plumbed or if your using the clamps and hoses that came with the filter?

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I had the same problem. My problem was where the intake house meet the intake pipe, it was sucking in a little air. Make sure this connection is under water andit should be good. It looks like your water level is low so that might be your problem to. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I was far too busy today to run it with zero media in it. I plan on doing that tomorrow because I have another FX that I'm going to dump the water in with the media to keep it wet and in tank water and run the other fx back in to the tank just to see what it does with only baskets in it. Then I'll remove some of the coarse pads but I doubt it's going to make a difference as I've run more than what I have in there now with no problem. Hell, for that matter I've ran one of the white polishing pads on top which clogs like the lady said in 8-10 days because it's ruined in 30 days period. With 5 coarse pads below it, and 3 bags of carbon with the 1750g of fluval prefilter and biomax. Zero bubbles back then. Only thing IMO that the white fluval pads are good for is a one week use just to make the tank look a little bit prettier if I'm hosting a party.

The next step is just to eliminate this fx and use the other one. Process of elimination of media if I hook the current FX up and it spews no air (other than first startup) with no media in it. If it still does, then I'm just tossing this entire FX and I already have the silicone lube, and an entire new set of o-rings and aqua-stops for the other FX as it was going to be for my 120 that I need to finish the stand with a TON of poly. Sadly just means I'll be buying a new filter setup for that one if I have to toss it. Which I'm leaning towards having to do, but we'll see.

@johnny potatoes - I'd agree there, but I have the connection about 2-3 inches below the waterline (just depends on WC's and evap) as it was low then when I snapped the pic's when it was all setup, quickly filled for the first time, hence all the fake plants being perfect with no algae. They are not perfect anymore but still pretty clean considering I clean them maybe once a year. Gotta love SAE's and a young common pleco

If you want to really get picky, notice the lack of leveling on that tank for the water line. It's started to shift and I'm going to have to tear this tank down to get a new stand. The particle board stand that this tank came with has just started to shift over the years of me owning it. When I first installed it, it had about 1/4 inch max from the left to right side of the tank. Now after being there for so many years in the same exact spot it's nearing 1/2 inch, maybe more. Sounds like a good time to reseal it and get a new stand and add a canopy, just sucks money wise lol

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Regarding the stand, I would check the floor. I seriously doubt the original 1/4" it was off from being level was the stand. Are you really sure the 1/2" it is at now isn't the floor due to foundation settling? I only bring this up so you can build the offset into the new stand if the problem is actually the house.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
My house was built in 1976 so I'm pretty sure settling is done and over with. The original 1/4 inch is what the floor is at, it slopes towards the wall. Which is normal considering that's the outside wall and tiled floors. I never shimmed it being a double rimmed 1/2 glass tank with both top and bottom center braces. You can see the sag in the particle board, the finish is starting to come off about 20 inches into the tank. The doors I've had to play with to get them to open and close because of the particle board shifting. And the picture there was taken 3 and a half years ago.

My 120g that I have coming (once I finish the polyurethane) will have to be shimmed as well as my 37g is shimmed because of laminate wood floors on a vapor barrier.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Ok so I've hooked up my FX that's problematic with only 1 blue pad. No foam, no biomax, no prefilter. Just 3 trays and a blue pad.

It's not spewing air as badly, but it's still got a lot of air in it. Infrequent air purges. Enough to make it sound like a biowheel filter after 15 minutes of sitting. Air purges are slowing as I keep waiting, about 1 per minute.

So I'm guessing there's a way for air to get in. Even though I have replaced the hoses, o-rings, and aquastop valves.

And there's no way that hagen is correct saying that the ribbed hosing holds air because it cannot be enough to make this much noise and air into the impeller. With nothing to contain and hold it up within the filter. Rather infrequent air sloshing in a canister I could live with because that anyone can expect. And this is why hagen was smart about it because it has an auto shut off to purge the air because the design is slightly flawed. None the less an external box of water and media of any canister I can only imagine to get infrequent sloshing and microbubbles. It's the nature of traveling outside the tank to another pseudo tank with water slowing through the media.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
K. Broke out the new o-rings, put it in the other FX. No silicone lubricant. Cleaned all of the media and replaced one of the coarse pads as it was falling apart. Still 4 coarse pads in the other FX5. No bubbles after the initial startup and shut off to purge the air that gets in from hooking up the aquastops. None.

So, conclusion is this makes no sense with the other FX. Only thing that's different is the actual components, both the same exact thing. Such a PITA. Will post back if it starts up with the air again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store