Emperor Snakehead vs Jaguar Cichlid vs Red Tiger Oscar (Territorial Dispute)

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
First of all I admit that this is my fault. I bought the fishes first before I decorated the aquarium. My reason being:

1) The Emperor Snakehead is a very pretty one (rare). Not the yellow variant but the one in bronze colour with red eyes. He is only 5-6 inches and has begun to develop his white flower pattern.

Notice also he is already showing bright ocellatus like the feather of a peacock. It is also amazing to watch him change colour from light brown to dark blackish brown/ bronze with black markings. There was only one available and I didn't want to miss him. He is well fed in these pictures. He takes Hikari stick pellets too which is awesome.

2) I found a beautiful Red Tiger Oscar with a lot of glowing red / orange pattern and I got it immediately. This Oscar also helps eat the dead feeder fish preventing mess. (I couldn't get a picture of him at the moment. I only have videos available)

3) A Jaguar Cichlid for only $2 USD at a Chinese fish market. So I figured okay these 3 varieties should be enough for my 125 G aquarium 4 feet x 2 x 2. At least while they are still small.

The Snakehead is 5-6 inches long and both the Oscar and Jaguar Cichlids are at 3-4 inches. So here is what happened before I was done with the deco.

First, Snakehead owned the Oscar quickly. Then they got along unless Snakehead does not want Oscar coming too close. He would push or chase Oscar away. But they got along and Oscar made itself comfortable.

Second was the Jaguar Cichlid. What an aggressive fish! It was ready to fight the Snakehead as soon as it was introduced in the tank. But the Jag wasn't interested and just moved away when attacked. Snakehead won.

Suddenly after Jag got comfortable in his new home things changed. The Oscar wouldn't leave the Jag alone. Oscar wanted to fight and Jag ignored for a while until Jag got mad. Jag faught as if it wanted to kill the Oscar and Oscar faught as if it was willing to die.

Jag clearly has a bigger mouth it owned Oscar in mouth and face biting competition repeatedly. Oscar kept fighting back but with fins and tail cut and mouth bruised Oscar was beat up and lost the battle.

Once Jag has dominated Oscar it got over confident and went to dominate the Emperor Snakehead. Jag charged for a face bite but Snakehead evaded it like Mike Tyson at his prime or let's just say like a Cobra and easily beat the Jag. Snakehead then got mad and chased Jag all over the tank.

The End.

So the territorial dispute has been resolved with Snakehead being the most dominant, Jag the second and Oscar the third. Now the Oscar and Jag are hanging out and swimming together. And the Snakehead will push them away if they get too close.

Hopping wolf fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
USA
Glad to hear there was no deaths in the process, those are some mean fish! Where can you find snakeheads? Been wanting one

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I thought the Oscar and the Jag were going to fight to death. I got the Snakehead in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

**Correction** 120 gallon tank.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Good point. I will have to separate them if things get out of control. So far they are well behaved.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
LOL I laughed hard with your story, quite funny the way you telling us :D
Snakehead need extreme heavy planted tank to the point Jag/Oscar don't have any space to swim, your tank need some kind of plants to cover the water surface, also snakehead love calm water almost no flow in your tank so keeping 2 different species with major different environment never work in long term. IMO you love that snakehead and I'm sure you will love it over Jag in long run base on coloration, aggressiveness and tank overall look with planted plants, you should get rip that Jag and Oscar. Snakehead is always my favorite fish of all time but sadly I can' get it in US. Someday, I will go back to my country and rebuilt my own snakehead pond :D

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
It turns out the Jag is that 'A-hole' fish which likes to irritate other fish. Jag bites and chases the Oscar and then Jag bites the Emperor Snakehead too. Suddenly the Emperor Snakehead who beat Jag easily is now uninterested in any conflict.

The Snakehead just ignores the Jag by calmly turning away or swimming away. Or he will just place his head above the Jag's head, push Jag gently and swim away.

The Oscar however doesn't disturb any of them. Oscar is only interested in me feeding him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store