Ray Tank mates and Tank size

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

I've always been interested in bottom feeders and have recently been intrigued by rays. I was really wondering what tank mates would be suitable to keep with a ray (loaches, sun cats, other bottom feeders, etc).

Im also looking for information on some of the smaller and easier to take care of rays and what they would need for water parameters and tank footprints.

Thanks for the help and pictures of your tank set ups and rays would be greatly appreciated.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tigrinus cat works well

Rays can handle a wide range ph so it's best to just stick with what your tap water is at its the ph up and down they don't like

The rest of the parameters are just basic fish keeping 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and just keep the nitrate as low as you can they can tolerate higher nitrates so just keep it as low as you can with 2 x 25% water changes per week

As for tank size as big as poss you tell us the biggest tank you can get in your house and we will tell you if its big enough

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I was thinking something along the lines or 6X3 footprint with a small group of clown loaches
6x3 will do for a few years for some rays but will do hystrix Scobina and marble motoro for life

It will be to small for Leo bd pearl normal motoro tiger and flower rays after a few years

Others will say that a 6x3 is a good size but it will stunt them long term

If you go 30" tall you will be able to keep some mid water tank mates

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
From my research the marble rays really vary in full grown size (12-20 inches). I think I will be going with a 180 gallon 6X2X2. I really like my fish to have the best habitat possible. Do you guys think this would be too small for a single marble ray? I would like to stock it with some clown loaches and rose line sharks.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
From my research the marble rays really vary in full grown size (12-20 inches). I think I will be going with a 180 gallon 6X2X2. I really like my fish to have the best habitat possible. Do you guys think this would be too small for a single marble ray? I would like to stock it with some clown loaches and rose line sharks.
Yes a 6x2x2 is to small even for the smallest Ray in my opinion

You maybe if with a 72x30 but that's the smallest I would advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store