Sea snakes ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I've been wondering about this since Miguel posted his gorgeous eels - and realized that I've never read anything about sea snakes on here.
I am guessing there may be regulations in place - but I've heard of them being kept in captivity before. Anyone on here have any experience?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never heard of anyone having any for sale...aren't some of them venomous?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I've never heard of anyone having any for sale...aren't some of them venomous?
Yes I think the majority if not all are.

The first one to pop in my head is the banded sea krait which I know to be venomous.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't even recall seeing them in any public aquarium that I've been to.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The only lets say water snake available was from what I remember a while ago. Ecsz on WW brought in some snake that would stay in freshwater tanks and look a vine in the water. It would lie motionless and pick off the fish. Believe they were venomous too. only bringing up cause it was the only snake that would stay under for some time and come up to breathe. Closest thing to a sea snake that i think could of that could be available and kept in home aquariums. Wouldn't take out large fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I know not a sea snake but thought i would bring it up for discussion.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
The only lets say water snake available was from what I remember a while ago. Ecsz on WW brought in some snake that would stay in freshwater tanks and look a vine in the water. It would lie motionless and pick off the fish. Believe they were venomous too. only bringing up cause it was the only snake that would stay under for some time and come up to breathe. Closest thing to a sea snake that i think could of that could be available and kept in home aquariums. Wouldn't take out large fish.

Those are tentacled snakes. They have them at my zoo. I know they are rear fanged but I don't think they are venomous. There are pics on the Web of people holding them.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I believe all sea snakes are venomous - and therefore would require a license for that, etc, but I'm just very surprised that some haven't entered the hobby - even through zoo breeding programs, etc.
They feed largely upon eels - which are easily and cheaply obtainable. Interesting to see if any of the "big" aquarium guys will chime in - Zoo Diver ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's the name of it. Thanks siddon. They were some people on the other forum who had them and were a site to see in an aquarium. Mildly venomous toward fish. Unless have an anaphylactic reaction then you're in trouble. Closest thing to keeping a snake in a aquarium.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Sea snakes carry poisons of the most lethal kind.

Never heard about anyone keeping them, public or private.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store