Building a aquarium

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
So I'm going to build a aquarium the dementions are 8ftX3.5ftwX3H now I don't know what the best way to do it is and cost effective 1. Plywood but I don't know how well that holds up over time?
2. All glass I want it to be costs effective and good quality. Does anyone know a little about this this is my first build and don't know much about building one or price could you guys fill me in?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
Well I'm handy just not in fish tanks I can build it I just don't know if the best route to go is all glass or plywood it's going into a cubby hole in the wall I built.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Plywood then! If built right will last much longer the glass. Looooaaaads of info on here.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
A tank that size would be a terrible idea for someone new to tank building to take on if going all glass.

+1

The glass would have to be at minimum 3/4" thick, and that is on the don't bump into my tank or it might explode side of safety..at which point the glass alone is going to cost several thousands of dollars..I would recommend building a smaller version of both, something you could make out of a 4x8 sheet of each material..doesn't have to be something huge but something that you could get some good experience working with both and then you could decide on what is going to be the better build..

I also agree that plywood would be the best based on where you are putting it..it will also cost much less in materials...I am building a plywood tank with roughly the same dimensions as yours and my window is basically a 8x3 sheet of glass, which is hovering around the $500-$600 range..and that's 3/4" glass..
In an all glass tank you are gonna need much thicker glass to handle the pressure, not to mention the rowdiness of fish (depending on your stock plans)

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
You can do glass thickness at 5/8 thick if you bring down the night to 30 inch. Even 1/2 inch if you went down to 2ft height. Bracing is the key here!!!

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
You can do glass thickness at 5/8 thick if you bring down the night to 30 inch. Even 1/2 inch if you went down to 2ft height. Bracing is the key here!!!
This is also true..My original footprint was 8'x5'x4' and I was looking at 1 1/2" glass for my window..just dropping 12" of height and width let me reduce glass thickness by half. Your dimensions are going to determine everything in this build..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store