Got an Ich problem

Bidda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
SoCal
Made the mistake of throwing a fish into my tank no quarantine. Needless to say, the little punk had a white spot on his fin and one on his head that i somehow missed at the shop, one day later, Ich outbreak. Anyway, did the usual, up temp to 86 or so, salted the aquarium, and bought some treatment. Ich is clearing up very nicely, almost gone already. I'm posting this because I'm wondering if people usually salt again after a certain time, I salted two days ago, should I do it again or let it ride out?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I add enough salt to bring the salinity to 3ppt (parts per thousand), sea water is 35ppt.
Vacuuming helps remove dormant cysts from the substrate, and when water is removed, I add more salt to keep salinity up to catch any emerging cysts.
And because the life cycle of ich takes time, I treat this way for a couple weeks.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
u can up the temp a lil more up to 88 to 90,, that will speed up the process of getting rid of ick

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I add enough salt to bring the salinity to 3ppt (parts per thousand), sea water is 35ppt.
Vacuuming helps remove dormant cysts from the substrate, and when water is removed, I add more salt to keep salinity up to catch any emerging cysts.
And because the life cycle of ich takes time, I treat this way for a couple weeks.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Just finished treating my 500 gallon tank. Temp at 84* Kordons Rid Ich Plus added after daily 25% water change, and vacuumed half the substrate each time. I did this for 8 days.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
In my QT tank temp is at 88F and I use Nox-Ich on any new fishes for 3 days up to 7 days, I don't ever have ich on my display tank :) I believe Ich life cycle around 48~72 hours at 86F+ In my experiences all fishes that got ich will clear out after 72 hours.

jordanroda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
I Love L.A.
In my QT tank temp is at 88F and I use Nox-Ich on any new fishes for 3 days up to 7 days, I don't ever have ich on my display tank :) I believe Ich life cycle around 48~72 hours at 86F+ In my experiences all fishes that got ich will clear out after 72 hours.
jordy never uses Noxich, makes your silcon blue...:(

Bidda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
SoCal
Thanks everybody, yeah it didnt last long, fish are looking great, but its only been about 5 days, so i think im gonna do a 40% or so and add a bit more salt one more time. I've been using the Kordon Ich Attack stuff, worked like a charm (or maybe that was just the salt+temp).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store