Minnesota Native Fish

DieselDood

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2015
United States
Hey folks!

I'm new here... but through searching I haven't found the info I'm looking for.

Currently I have a 125gallon tank with African Cichlids. I am getting a 90 gallon tank from my aunt. I plan on moving my Cichlids to the 90 gallon tank and I'd like to set up my 125 with MN native fish. I have found a couple of local stores that sell them, but the folks working aren't terribly..... knowledgeable on them. (at least not to the aspect that I feel they are really know what I need to know)

My 125 has 2 over the back 60gallon filters and 2 magnum 350 filters, so I should have plenty of filtration.

I'd like to get some Perch, Sun Fish, Bluegill, Crapie, catfish (or bullhead) and possibly a Bass (probably large?)

I know based on where they are found here in MN.... I'll need a sandy bottom and lots of Hiding places for them. I also plan on getting live grasses and natural "weeds" (as we think of them as they are caught in the prop of the boat LOL)

I have read that when they are smaller I can use flake food, but as they get larger I'll need to switch to something more live based. What is the best food for them at that point?

Any other advise or pointers?
This will be a fairly long project.... I don't have the tank home yet. I plan to get it set up in the next couple of weeks, then get the sand and grasses growing and stable. In... oh 3-4 months I'll get the fish.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
In a 125 you could do 5-6 Lepomis sps, 2 Poxomis sp, and 1 Ameiurus sp and I think that'd look nice. If you want perch more than sunfish you could swap them out so instead of 5-6 Lepomis have 5-6 perch.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Check out our regulations first before attempting collect live fish for home aquarium. That said, you cannot transporting lake water or using net to collect game fish. The gamefish must be caught on line and hook.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Also anybody caught transporting/carrying water and plants from a lake gets a hefty fine. Currently MN res

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yup, currently fine would be $800-1,000 if they caught you transporting aquatic plants from a lake. If they caught you with a non native aquatic plant or lake water from infested waters they will take your boat or fishing license away till you paid the fine.

DieselDood

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2015
United States
I fully plan on purchasing the fish and plants and such. I know the DNR can be very sticky, especially on stuff like this. I'd rather be on the up and up with them.

Thanks for the heads up though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store