Seachem Matrix vs Nitrate

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Product description said that Matrix will trap Nitrate also can keep it as biological media, so will it ability absorb nitrate exhausted overtime?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I was really tempted to buy some at one point but when I asked about people said it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
hehehe I'm asking about it cause I'll need to replace my Bio Media soon, if it can absorb Nitrate even just small amount of nitrate then it would be better than nothing.

LinhOC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
HB
the seachem matrix work only if you have lower volume of water flow on your filter, too fast of water flow filter won't work

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
hehehe I'm asking about it cause I'll need to replace my Bio Media soon, if it can absorb Nitrate even just small amount of nitrate then it would be better than nothing.
It does reach a limit though where it needs to e rinsed in bleach otherwise it stops removing nitrates.

And why are you replacing biomedia? Biomedia should be good for the life of the tank.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I wouldn't toss out the current media.

But here, let me say this as I understand it:

Seachem Matrix is bio media. It doesn't get "full." You use that and you don't bleach it. From time to time if it gets covered in mulm, it's ok to swish it around in a bucket of tank water (not tap water) then put it back in the filter. Matrix has BB in it, so bleaching or rinsing in tap water is forbidden. Matrix is typically placed in the filter.

Seachem Purigen is a chemical material meant to adsorb organic wastes. It will get "full" and at that point it needs to be "re-charged" by being dipped in bleach. (Read the directions.) Purigen is not really meant as a source of BB, so it's ok to bleach it. Purigen is not typically placed in the filter. People often place it in a porous bag and place is somewhere in the tank or sump where some water flow can be expected and where it's easy to access.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Why are you replacing biomedia? Biomedia should be good for the life of the tank.

I'm using Fluval Bio media that look like lava rock, it got dirty over time and cause little hole on it I can't rinse or wash to keep it clean.
Also, all my tanks I set them up with back up filters in mind, that's meant I can change entire 1 of my bio media filter without messing up my tank Bio Load and do different one 2 weeks later or you can say I have an overkill filters system. :D

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Seachem Matrix is bio media. It doesn't get "full." You use that and you don't bleach it. From time to time if it gets covered in mulm, it's ok to swish it around in a bucket of tank water (not tap water) then put it back in the filter. Matrix has BB in it, so bleaching or rinsing in tap water is forbidden. Matrix is typically placed in the filter.
I'm understand Matrix is a bio media, I was wonder about it Nitrate absorb ability. Does that ability get exhaust because Nitrate is unlimited any tanks? and what's about Nitrate getting trap inside matrix? Does it release it out as an unharmful element? :D

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
From what ive read about matrix , it has both internal and external surface area. The internal area is spouse to create low oxygen levels which allows denitrifying bacteria to exist. which will convert nitrate into nitrogen gas. Its also more effective in canister filters. Im using it now for the 1st time in a newer tank and hoping it aids in keeping nitrates low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store