Acrylic question!

viperman100

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Rialto, Cali.
Ok, so I just purchased a used acrylic 180g tank. It's a clarity plus that's 9 years old. So my question is this, where can I get the liquid bonding cement, there is a crack on the top of the tank. The crack is from the corner of the top opening to the back of the tank, I don't think it affects the tanks ability to hold water I'd just like to fix it. My second question is a little more complicated, this tank has a blue back (which) I hate but couldn't pass up on the deal, is there any thing that is fish safe that I can paint the inside of the tank black with? It would have to be fish safe and be able to stick permanently to acrylic. The other option to this would be to be able to buy and stick a paper background inside the tank. Any help as always greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brunofraga

Feeder Fish
Nov 22, 2014
United States
I got a clarity plus with a black back panel, I used Krylon Fusion to paint blue, after spray let the paint cure for 5-7 days. I have put all my fishes inside without any issue after the cure time. You can find the paint on your local Walmart, to fix the crack you have use the weld on and brace with another piece of acrylic to make sure after the water goes in wont open the crack again.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
You could slip a 1/8th inch thick piece of black acrylic inside the tank. This won't scratch off and if you don't like the black or want to back to blue you just pull it out.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
You could slip a 1/8th inch thick piece of black acrylic inside the tank. This won't scratch off and if you don't like the black or want to back to blue you just pull it out.
+1. I like this idea!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

viperman100

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Rialto, Cali.
I'm looking for the liquid form of cement since its a crack I'd like it to be thin enough to run into it as much as possible. Sandwiching a separate piece of acrylic is something I had thought of as well. I like the idea of inserting a separate back to the tank, but do to the size of the top opening it may have to go in in three pieces. I just hope the seems don't stand out too much. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Weld 16 will melt the acrylic so two pieces can be bonded. Weaker bond ime. OK for small jobs. Weld 40 is basically liquid acrylic, wayyyy stronger, use it to sandwich pieces over cracks and rest easy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store