Angelfish spawning.....?

bichirkeeper99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2013
Florida
Hi all, I recently purchased two angelfish from a local store, withought the intention of breeding them. Soon after being introduced to their tank, they began to stay close together and showed no aggression towards each other. In the next few days they selected a leaf of a decor plant and began to clean all of the algae off of its surface. The supposed femal became clearly thick from being gravid with eggs, and started showing aggression to the Cories and pleco in the tank with them. No genital papilla has become evident on her yet. The supposed male though, has a fully extended genital papilla, and seems to be the one cleaning the leaf the most. They both remain in the vicinity of the leaf about 80% of the time, but it has been a week since they have begun cleaning it and they have not spawned. Is it due to the large amount of algae growth on the leaf they are cleaning, or the fact that the males papilla is evident and the females doesn't seem to be? I have been feeding brine shrimp every other day and omega one cichlid flakes as a base food Daily. I have been doing small water changes frequently as well. Is there something I'm missing? Are my angels not going to spawn, or are they just taking their time? Does it really take multiple weeks for the female finally decide its "go" time? Also, any suggestions for raising angelfish eggs artificially when they have been laid on a large plastic plant would be greatly appreciated. That's assuming my Angels actually spawn.

bichirkeeper99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2013
Florida
Also, since the Angels tank (30 gallon) is one of the five tanks I keep in my room (the one closest to my door and bed) I get rushed at every time I enter my room, and was even splashed while innocently doing my homework one time! If that's not breeding aggressiveness, I don't know what is.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Have you made sure that you have dimmed the lights ? Next ensure that you have some Barry White playing on the stereo to set the mood. that should help get things going ;)

tanlovsea97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
kolkata
what size are the fishes?any other fish u have in the tank?
too frequent water change i.e within three days wouldn't allow ur fish to settle down.. the angels are very much sensitive... u ,,, forget about them for 72 hrs. and do not change the lighting...(they get confused), water flow to moderate.. but well aerated , add methylene blue...and don't get excited.. and don't make to much movements near the tank...they are much sensitive.. unless they find very much cozy and atmosphere they wouldn't start.. and also .. as u said they are new to the tan.. so that's the most important factor adding to the delay..but all this conditions fulfilled.. u can get a good luck on the upcoming full-moon or no-moon night...and then they will, do it every fortnight... so get a breeder tank ready.. if u keep them together.. unless ur fish might get damaged...due to lack of proper place...

bichirkeeper99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2013
Florida
They are pretty large for store bought fish, about 2 inches long. The only other fish in the tank are four small cories. What does methylene blue do other than prevent fungus? And also by not changing lighting, do you mean keeping the lights off at all times? Thank you so much got the advice :)

bichirkeeper99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2013
Florida
And still feed daily right? Also do you think covering the tank with a towel would help keep them calm? Sorry lots of questions XD

tanlovsea97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
kolkata
yess... bro.. because frequent movements will not let them settle.. and about the lighting i suggest.. don't change it often.. i.e don't turn on and off. u choose one and stick to it..atleast from the time .. ur female starts the clean up....towel does work for me,,,,they get to watch a limited outside movements..

tanlovsea97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
kolkata
and a 2 inches body means ..they are very young.. so female will need time to shed fear,,,, after the first time u l see much more improvement... u not be requring towel... for the third time...i guess...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store