Hobbyists vs Non-hobbyists ROUND 2

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Based on a really old thread I made similar to this. At school, I'm very notorious for being a fish keeping geek and some people have dubbed me "that fish kid". Anyways, some kid asks me in one of my classes "OH DUDE, YOU KEEP FISH RIGHT? THAT MEANS YOU KEEP GOLDFISH RIGHT?" And some time later some kid gets on the subject of goldfish (I was eating goldfish crackers in class) and he says that his died because he didn't have a filter. Some girl behind him said "YOU NEED A CLEANING FISH" I told her this "Catfish like plecos don't eat poop, and even if they did they'd still excrete waste from doing so" and she just says after a 5 second pause "WELL UM TECHNICALLY THEY ARE" *facepalm* Have you ever heard something like this from people? I've heard far too many to count, but these are the most recent.

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
I overheard a couple talking at a LFS about an alligator gar. The woman simply said " Honey, I don't care how big it gets because we can always do the right thing and release it when it's too big for our tank" and of course the wife is always right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
One of my co-worker told another co-worker that if she gets a betta, do not change the water because it'll kill it :duh:

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
Goldfish only live a few years... So if it lives 3-5yrs thats old. Though i've heard way less intelligent things from people.... That comment came from someone who knows abit about fish already... A past co-worker actually. Its one thing to hear it from someone whos never kept a tank in their life.. But to hear a comment like that out of someone whos works in the industry boggled my brain.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't even discuss fishkeeping with non hobbyists anymore because at this point I am tired of trying to explain things and set people straight when they don't want to hear it...There are old timers at work who have tanks and still adhere to customs from thirty years ago such as once a year removing all fish and decor and then draining and cleaning out the entire tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store