Black Aro Help!

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
So on Tuesday I'll be getting a hold of a small 4-6 inch Black Arowana. Aside from easily being my favorite fish in the hobby, they are also next to impossible to find where I live. It would be going into the only tank I currently have available, which is my 150 gallon until June when I upgrade to a 300 gallon. My problem is the current inhabitants of my tank. I have a 15-16" Jaguar Cichlid and a 12" Red Devil Cichlid currently residing in there. I've kept arowana with them before and they never bothered them, but they were always 8"+. Do you guys think it would be safe to let the little guy roam free in the tank with those monsters or should I play it safe, buy some eggcrate, and separate them until he gets some size on him?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
trade in the cichlids for some silver dollars, unfair to put anything with a rd and large jag in a 150 imo.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would grow ARO out in a separate tank until it grew to almost 1 foot, then introduce it to the 150.:)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
To risky to put are are with the above mentioned fish

Silver dollars may also make the aro a bit jumpy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Even after you growth out your Aro decent size then it still a risk to put it in same tank with a jag that resident there for long time already, your black aro won't last with Jag bully it around.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
In all honesty I'm only worried about the Jaguar. The RD is probably the biggest baby I've ever seen. She gets bullied around by the 7" Senegal Bichir that share the tank with her and the Jag. But you guys are right, I should probably find a decent sized grow-out tank for the little aro until I can get a hold of the big tank in June.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
A 15" jag will swallow an aro that small in one there's no second chances at that size , I'd listen to these guys and either grow it past 12" or rehome the cichlids
Best of luck with your decision :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store