growth rate of male stingray??

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
couple of questions...
I was just wondering what the growth rate on a male motoro??? do they grow quick or slow??? average growth per month (in inches)... food suggestions...

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
A newborn motoro, approximately 4", may reach 12" in the first year of life. I have never kept any of my male pups that long but, I would expect that they grow slightly slower.

Live blackworms are the best foods for newly acquired, juvenile rays. You can easily move into earthworm, ghost shrimp, crayfish, frozen marker smelt and frozen market shrimp. Cut the frozen stuff into small pieces with a large pair of kitchen shears and the rays will go nuts.

Getting them off of live and onto frozen can be a little tricky with some rays but well worth the effort.

Colin

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
rvrrays;749541; said:
A newborn motoro, approximately 4", may reach 12" in the first year of life. I have never kept any of my male pups that long but, I would expect that they grow slightly slower.

Live blackworms are the best foods for newly acquired, juvenile rays. You can easily move into earthworm, ghost shrimp, crayfish, frozen marker smelt and frozen market shrimp. Cut the frozen stuff into small pieces with a large pair of kitchen shears and the rays will go nuts.

Getting them off of live and onto frozen can be a little tricky with some rays but well worth the effort.

Colin

Thanks for the info...

Rosewood022

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Troy, MI
I agree with Colin. In my expirence, males will genrerally grow slower than females. I have two of Colin's pups, both born in July of 2005. The female is 16" while the male is about 10" and is not growing fast. I have another male motoro that I've had for 3 years that was about 8" when I bought it and is now about 12". They will grow quick during the first year, but will usually slow down quite a bit after that.

Pat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store