Coolest looking plecos $25 and under

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I ll admit I am not super into plecos... I keep atleast one per tank because I'd rather have them eat my algae than scrape it myself. But I have only really kept BNs, though I have had Rubberlips in the past, recently got a large, nice looking Common L021 destined for my 700g. (I plan to add a L001 in there as well - side question: what is a reasonable number of large plecos for a 700g tank? I was think 2-3?)

But recently I have noticed quite a few really attractive plecos at my LFS but they are all over $100. So it has made me want to get a cool pleco for either my 155g (has one BN) and/or my 120g (has one smaller species of BN) as well as potentially a large cool pleco for the 700g.

Algae eating ability is not that important since I already have plecos that do that well. But TBH there is just no way I am willing or able to pay a huge amount, so please limit your answers to plecos that I could reasonably expect to be able to find for $25ish or less. Also one last requirement is that they do not hide constantly. I might put up with this if I got him mainly to eat algae and he did that well but if I am getting a pleco specifically to look at, I want to see it!

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I ll admit I am not super into plecos... I keep atleast one per tank because I'd rather have them eat my algae than scrape it myself. But I have only really kept BNs, though I have had Rubberlips in the past, recently got a large, nice looking Common L021 destined for my 700g. (I plan to add a L001 in there as well - side question: what is a reasonable number of large plecos for a 700g tank? I was think 2-3?)

But recently I have noticed quite a few really attractive plecos at my LFS but they are all over $100. So it has made me want to get a cool pleco for either my 155g (has one BN) and/or my 120g (has one smaller species of BN) as well as potentially a large cool pleco for the 700g.

Algae eating ability is not that important since I already have plecos that do that well. But TBH there is just no way I am willing or able to pay a huge amount, so please limit your answers to plecos that I could reasonably expect to be able to find for $25ish or less. Also one last requirement is that they do not hide constantly. I might put up with this if I got him mainly to eat algae and he did that well but if I am getting a pleco specifically to look at, I want to see it!
I've kept 4 commons (19.5", 17.5", 17", 16" ) and a 13" Rhino in a 190. Yes, it was a little crowded but they all got along great. I'd just watch out for Sailfins and L001s as they are a little more aggressive. The key is always give them hiding spots and keep them full. These plecos normally do not hide but they do like to have it for occasional timeout.

IMO, the best pleco for under $25 would be the Albino Sailfin. But not all the fish stores will offer them for under $25

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I know your looking to stay under 25, but for about 10 or 15bucks more you could try a L75 (Para pleco). Ask your lfs to order one, they're not that difficult to find. Doesn't get too large, unaggressive, beautiful colors, SUPER active and a lover of algae. One of the most underrated plecs imo

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
The L75s look cool! I'll have to see if my LFS can get them! The one I'm in love with at the LFS is labeled with the common name "Salted Pleco" not sure the L# though that may be listed too. It is soooo cool looking, but he is $100...

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
Never heard of a salted pleco. What color was it? Gray with black dots? Maybe a sultan pleco?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
It is a beautiful sort of slate gray, with tiny, (salt-like) whites spots all over. I think its fins are edged in white too. Really, really gorgeous, IMO.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Turns out the pleco I like is an L136 (small spot) and the LFS owner said he would give it to me for $40. Is that a good deal?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Yea $40 seems about right. Not sure why they were charging $100 in the first place. Why did they drop the price so much? Did you end up getting him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store