To SUMP or Not to SUMP?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have a 90 gallon with sump that I am thinking about buying. I have never dealt with sumps before so I am a little hesitant about purchasing this tank. So to everyone with experience with sumps and HOB'S or Canister filters my question is... is it better to have a sump or not to have a sump and why? Also how difficult will sumps be for someone who is 100% new to them?

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn, 10 Mollies and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
To sump! By far best filtration I have ever used

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va

Is this a good deal?
Here is what I have. 90 gal tank with corner overflow and return, 30 gal sump with all plumbing, jaebo wavemaker controller and 2 powerheads, light, stand, and misc accessories ready to be set up for $250
***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn, 10 Mollies and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Heck that tank has an overflow built in. You can't go wrong with a sump. Try it and you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of a sump.

As for me, any tank larger than 125, I love sumps.

For smaller tanks, I love HOBs and/or canisters. HOBs are easy to maintain, I can clean it as part of my weekly water change ---- great for the fish. Canisters for these smaller tanks are not as hefty and heavy, so cleaning is not a chore. I can clean a Fluval 406 or Rena XP4 in less than 15 minutes..... Now I can't do this with the big FX5/6's that easily.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I will be using this tank for my flowerhorn. Will he be ok with the overflow box in the tank or will it be taking up too much space? I guess it won't hurt to at least try a sump. I just don't understand how a sump works. Even after googling it I just still don't get it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Corner overflows dont take up much space. My 90g with an awueon megaflow in the center, takes up a ton of room

You'll get used to it, it takes up space but its better than multiple intakes and heaters and all the other eyesores in the tank.

Thats a great deal, hopefully everything is set up you can use a saltwater sump for freshwater, there will be stuff in there you wont need, but it should work just fine.

Once you go sump, you wont go back

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Yeah it is currently up and running minus the rock and fish. The guy even said he will help with the initial set up.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Sumps are actually really simple.

Imagine your going to your fridge for a glass of water. Some jerk decided to drill a hole in the top of your favorite drinking glass near the rim. Now no matter how much water you pour from your pitcher - the glass is never full, it never spills over the rim, instead all the water runs out of the hole. And you can pour water all day into this glass, but it never gets quite full.

Same concept, except the spilling water runs down a pipe/hose to a reservoir and gets pumped back up to the top.

Your drains should always be able to handle way more water than your pump can return. so your pump pushes water to the tank, and it falls back down again and again and again

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Nice tank, I would grab it for that price. Sumps are usually less maintenance in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store