Algae eater in Channa tank.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
none, Asiatica will eventually kill even the toughest plecos. I've tried a few times with a few species 9 times out of 10 the pleco dies.

The only slight success I had was using large bristle nosed plecos with Small channa. BNP's are masters of going unnoticed by aggressive tankmates , but they are too small to go long term with most species including asiatica because they would start to look snack sized very quickly.

I only tried a common pleco once with my asiatica when she was 4-5ish", the pleco was twice it's length and twice it's girth and it didn't last a day. That's Same pleco was rotated through turtle tanks, monster fish tanks &even lived a year with an adult caiman! But didn't last one day in anasiatica tank lol

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
Whats the chance of snails?

Also I have had x7 1" rosey barbs in with my 3 asiatica (biggest about 5") for near two weeks, the channa arent showing any interest at all but I know this wont work long term. I am really surprised they havent gone for them yet though

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
They love snails, it's one of their favorite snacks !

Yes small fast fish will last a while but eventually it ends the same way lol

I've kept barbs and danios with my Auranti and gachua , they are completely ignored for a while if small and fast enough. Just too fast and small for the channa to bother with. It has Never has worked with my asiatica, she's a particularly hateful thing ANYTHING u put with her is killed in seconds.

In general though Captive Channa are often lazy and spoiled with more food then they need. why chase a small fish when they know I'll be back with sinking pellets that come to their door lol. Then one morning every little fish is gone over night ! I find it always goes from not touching anything to cleaning everything out overnight. Like the channa suddenly figured out some trick to catch them or just got tired of watching them swim around and takes them all out at once.

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
They love snails, it's one of their favorite snacks !

Yes small fast fish will last a while but eventually it ends the same way lol

I've kept barbs and danios with my Auranti and gachua , they are completely ignored for a while if small and fast enough. Just too fast and small for the channa to bother with. It has Never has worked with my asiatica, she's a particularly hateful thing ANYTHING u put with her is killed in seconds.

In general though Captive Channa are often lazy and spoiled with more food then they need. why chase a small fish when they know I'll be back with sinking pellets that come to their door lol. Then one morning every little fish is gone over night ! I find it always goes from not touching anything to cleaning everything out overnight. Like the channa suddenly figured out some trick to catch them or just got tired of watching them swim around and takes them all out at once.
Lol i have no chance. They seem fairly placid at the moment but dont doubt for a second they are out and out killers, i am sure you right, i wake up each morning expecting to see one solo fish left.

I am also amazed at their rate of growth. One has literally doubled in size in 4 weeks so it is a matter of time before the inevitable happens!

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
You can try malaysian trumpet snails. They have very hard shells that most fish can't crack. They are nocturnal and spend most of the day under the substrate so they can go unnoticed.
I use them in 2 of my Channa tanks. Some of my other tanks they can't survive in because the water is too soft. They are very cheap and worth trying in my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Can I keep a 3” bristle nose catfiah with one 6” Channa Brunnea?
Hard to answer. I find that as with most fish they all have different temperaments.
I had three Parachanna obscura, they paired up and killed the third. However, now they Are 10” and live in a 390 jewel corner tank With a musk turtle, 3 leopard bush fish at 5”, 5 large bumblebee cats, a synodontis and a pair of bristlenose plecs.
Might be tempting fate here but all been together for almost 18 months. Whilst the Channa have coloured up and appeared interested in breeding, I have little in the way of floating plants and nothing so far.

Mayank0491

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2020
India
Hard to answer. I find that as with most fish they all have different temperaments.
I had three Parachanna obscura, they paired up and killed the third. However, now they Are 10” and live in a 390 jewel corner tank With a musk turtle, 3 leopard bush fish at 5”, 5 large bumblebee cats, a synodontis and a pair of bristlenose plecs.
Might be tempting fate here but all been together for almost 18 months. Whilst the Channa have coloured up and appeared interested in breeding, I have little in the way of floating plants and nothing so far.
Have added the little guy to the tank. It’s only been a few hours though. Hoping for the best.

4E616DC0-CA0F-47C3-9620-1A21779287EB.jpeg

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store